• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is the real voltage reading?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

summoning

Registered
for example i changed cpu voltage to 1.30v in bios
after restart,bios shows 1.27v
in windows when cpu is idle it shows 1.25v and under load it shows 1.23.
when overclocking which is the one i should care?
1.30v or 1.23v?

Its the Vdrop/Vdroop that cause the drop between BIOS/IDLE/LOAD. Cause by the mobo parts and PSU. Some board have an option called LLC to neutralize the Vdroop. ( drop between idle and load ).

Right boulard!

Difference in bios setting to actual idle voltage = Vdrop.
Difference in idle to load voltage = Vdroop controlled by some mobos with an option called LLC (like Boulard said).

I would trust w/e CPUz says if you dont have a DMM handy to confirm.

yes i know vdrop and vdroop causing this.
but i'm not sure which one i should trust when overclocking...
which one is the real voltage that cpu is getting ..

and another silly question,
idle voltage is higher than load voltage so at idle does the cpu wear out faster than load ?

Like I just said, I would trust CPUz's readings as its the only thing you have in windows really.

To answer your other question, simply no. The difference in voltages are so low you will have undoubtedly upgraded by the time it made a difference. Hell by the time .1v would make a difference you would have upgraded none the less .05 or so.

They are ALL "real" voltage ..... a board with bad Vdrop + vdroop will need more in the BIOS since he lost more from the parts + load.

With LLC enabled wiht my P5Q my load Vcore is = to what i set in BIOS. ( very similar )

Back