• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Debating between ASUS Extreme II Rampage and EVGA Classified . . . Any thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revivalist

Well, I was very convinced that the ASUS Rampage II Extreme was the motherboard for me . . . .

01.jpg

But after doing more research and trying to compare motherboards, I'm thinking now of going with the EVGA Classified (141-BL-E760-A1) instead. . . .

imageviewphp-1.jpg

These two reviews were the main sellers for me . . .

http://www.guru3d.com/article/evga-x58-sli-classified-review/

http://hothardware.com/Articles/eVGA-X58-3X-SLI-Classified-Motherboard/?page=1

I was amazed that the Classified has 2 x 8pin CPU connectors . . .

imageviewphp.jpg

My PCPn'P also has an extra 8-pin connector that has never been used.

TC1KWSR-harness_3834.jpg

It's like this motherboard and my PSU were meant to be! :) . . .

I am guessing that the PSU was originally designed for a dual CPU situation. But this would be a perfect chance to make full use of what my PSU offers. . . . But I wonder if that will actually yield any real world difference when overclocking. The review by guru3d says that this makes it possible to pump 600W into the CPU. But I know that's obviously not relevant with the i7 920. My only thought is that maybe it will keep the voltage a little stiffer and less prone to fluctuation.

The motherboard also supposedly has "300% more gold content in the CPU socket." Can anybody comment on this? . . . Does that really make a difference or is that some sort of gimmick? Does the gold allow for great conductivity and hence better clockspeeds?

The classified is a waste of money unless you plan on benching and using extreme cooling, so out of the two I would go with the RIIE. If you want to save some money though I would consider going with a Gigabyte UD5 or DFI T3eH8. I personally own the gig and it has given me no issues what so ever.

Are you benching? If not, there's no reason to spend that kind of money. Consider a P6T-Deluxe V2 or a Foxconn Bloodrage. Both great clocking boards with excellent options, at far less cost. Giga options seem to be very good as well, although I've never used one.
I would not go with either of the above boards unless I was going for absolute top benchmark results and my current board left me optionless.
Of course both of the above boards are excellent choices if you have money to burn I guess. Having used the 775RE, I would go for the RIIE. The classified just seems like too much board, at too high a cost, that I would never get full potential out of.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, guys. . .

I will definitely be benching, although not with extreme cooling like phase or LN. I have a water setup with a TEC.

I only buy a motherboard every 3-4 years so I usually try to make sure to really get a quality board. At the time that I bought my current motherboard, the DFI Expert was one of the absolute best overclocking boards and it has served me very well over the years until socket 939 is now almost completely extinct. . . .

So I'm trying to make a similar choice this time as well. I think the only thing that I will not be using on these boards is the tri-SLI. I will only run two video cards at most. . . . But pretty much everything else will be fully used: i7 CPU, 6GB of RAM in triple channel, two video cards in SLI, six hard drives with four of them in RAID, e-SATA for my external drive, two optical drives, 8 USB ports, LAN, audio, etc. . . .

And of course, I like the fact that with a board like this, I know I am getting all the performance possible out of any CPU or RAM that I put in it and overclock. . . . I never have to wonder if the motherboard is holding me back (relative to other motherboards).

Last edited:
I had the same issue, and I am still a little confused. I have decided to buy ARIIE and I wonder if anybody know best seller in canada with the most affordable price for that motherboard. Thank you all.

I will definitely be benching

And of course, I like the fact that with a board like this, I know I am getting all the performance possible out of any CPU or RAM that I put in it and overclock. . . . I never have to wonder if the motherboard is holding me back (relative to other motherboards).

These two make me think Classified is probably best for you. R2E would be nicer if you're willing to sacrifice some speed for a little bit more ease.

You could go to memory express and pick up the 2yr IPR with it.
My experience with that warantee so far has been very good, and it's worth shopping there. $499.99, plus IPR, Plus tax. Ouch! Pretty steep.

Newegg.ca has it for $419.99 CDN with free shipping, but no IPR. You would have to go through ASUS RMA for replacement. However, $80.00 is enough of a difference that I would probably get it here.

You could go to memory express and pick up the 2yr IPR with it.
My experience with that warantee so far has been very good, and it's worth shopping there. $499.99, plus IPR, Plus tax. Ouch! Pretty steep.

Newegg.ca has it for $419.99 CDN with free shipping, but no IPR. You would have to go through ASUS RMA for replacement. However, $80.00 is enough of a difference that I would probably get it here.

Thanx I have just found it. I thought that newegg is only for USA.
Can you tell me anything about NCIX?
One more question, why is this MB only $419 now? on other sites are usualy closer to $500.
Thanx a lot!

newegg.ca = Canada. All prices in CDN Dollars.
newegg.com = USA. All prices in USD.

But it's the all the same thing. Everything still comes from the US, they just charge you a small handling charge which covers the brokerage at the border. Shipping is typically quite fast, and I've had nothing but good experiences.

And I don't know why they're offering the board for $419, but it doesn't appear to be an open box item or anything. Brand new, full retail as far as I can tell.

I know nothing about NCIX, but I know that I'm not fond of their website.

I've seen more Classifieds boards died since it was launched than any other board in years, also the ridiculously high price does not warrant it over the RIIE at all.

I've seen more Classifieds boards died since it was launched than any other board in years, also the ridiculously high price does not warrant it over the RIIE at all.
Fortunately the Classifieds have a lifetime warranty. But there is of course the hassle of having to send it back and having your system down during that time. . .

As for cost, with the rebate it will cost the same at Newegg right now. (That's the main thing that caused me to really start comparing them.) . . . As for tomorrow, it'll probably be back to a $30-$50 difference between them again.

That's likely because they clock higher and are pushed farther than any other board that has come out in years. Many of those failures could be LN2 related as well.

If your thinking of spending that amount of money - Go with the Classified.

I have the Rampage and have never had any issues, love the bios layout and functions that are at my disposal

Although I have no real knowledge of the Classified, just looking at its Spec against the Rampage looks like your getting a little more for your money that suits your situation better.

See below...

That's likely because they clock higher and are pushed farther than any other board that has come out in years. Many of those failures could be LN2 related as well.

+1

I just killed my 2nd Classified...but I still think it's an awesome board, and I'd heartly recommend it to anyone wanting to go to the extreme :beer:

The RIIE was nice on air/water, but I didn't like it with cold stuff :(

Back