• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Members Post here,...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hellow just got into folding running the new beta v7 client on my laptop for the next two weeks then ill have my desktop together and running and i can fold on there as well as my old C2D laptop

Welcome to the forum, and team 32, Rustyfender!

Watch your temps and battery life on the laptop. Folding is a real workout for the cpu, and laptops have a lot less air volume and air movement to stay cool. Generally, not recommended for them.

I believe you'll like the v7 client however - it's not perfect, but it's a good start on a windows style folding client.

i was cooling it by having my rads hung out the window its winter here and so i could keep it at -5 at that speed. during the summer best i can manage is about 4.6. im just in the process of upgrading to a 2500K gave my friend the old workhorse phenom kinda miss it. i also had a 140 fan shrouded down to force all the air it moved through the mosfet cooler

its the cheepest way to acheive sub ambiant temps. as a result you do have to do some moisture protection (di-electric grease under the cpu, ect...) and if it gets rlly cold you will have to throw some antifreeze in your loop, i just use the green car antifreeze in a 10% solution with distilled and when the comp isnt running i bring the rads inside cause the glycol (car antifreeze increeses in viscosity as the temperature drops so if you let the rads sit outside with the comp off its gonna be hard on your pumps when you turn it back on

Hi everyone, out of curiosity I started this. I used the name mikeyw and entered team 32 and my passkey in so I THINK it's started. The program just vanished to the system tray so I can't really tell wheat's going on.

CPU loads are still pretty low except for core #0,... is it a single threaded application?

Also I can't find my profile. Maybe there is a waiting period before it comes up?

Welcome to the team, Mikeyw!

You can check what's going on with your folding (one way), by right clicking on your bottom bar (in an empty spot), on your desktop, and selecting "Start Task Manager".

FAH has a few different folding clients - that's what we call the program that manages the actual working core programs.

It sounds like you have the older, single core client. That's not the client you want. The client you want is the V7 Client. It's still beta, and not perfect, but it's PERFECT for people starting out with FAH. The other clients are a bit of a pain to learn how to work with.

You're quite right that you need to fold at least one work unit (wu), and return that data, first. It takes about an hour or two for the result to be checked and credited to your score. If you are looking at the stats on a site other than Stanford University FAH, then you also will have from 5 minutes (unlikely) to 3 hours more time, before your score shows up on their stats page.

So you have to do that hardest thing - be patient. :D

The link to the V7 client is:
https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/

This FAH client will really use the extra computing power if you use the -smp "flag" to signal the server at Stanford, that you want a bigger wu. (More points and more science).

If you have any problems or questions, check the sticky at the top of the forum, and the guide in the link, above - but feel free to post a NEW thread for it, in the forum. It's YOUR forum too, now. :thup:

Hello T32

Hello T32! I've lurked these forums for years, but just recently became an active poster.

I fold SMP/GPU on #1 and #2 sig machines, and SMP only on #5. #5 is currently folding a WU for T32, and I'll be migrating the rest over as they finish their respective WUs.

I'm in the market for a 4P MC rig. The cheap route though, nothing like the Ferrari rigs some of you guys have:). 6128s are what I'm looking at right now. I want to keep this thing under $1500 max. The closer to $1K I can get the happier I'll be. When I get that rolling I'll just run that and let the sig rigs live in peace.

Cheers!

Welcome to Overclockers.com (team 32), LZ_Xray! :welcome:

4p folding looks like a great way to fold, whether Ferrari or Volkswagen.

Hey ya, new guy to folding. just got it installed after 4 hours for trouble shooting. Right know its at 4% within 50 minutes, but my cores are at 50% and in the setup i put it to 100%.

:welcome:

This is on the i7? Do you have HyperThreading turned on in your BIOS?

Find the FAH log.txt file - the one that it prints out to show it's progress as it works. Go to the very top of it, and copy the first 50 lines or so of that file. Then reply here, and click on the # icon, in the advanced editing window.

And paste those first 50 lines, into your reply, right there.

Then we can see what's doing. Also, give your system specs if it's NOT the rig in your sig.

And welcome to the folding team!

HyperThreading is on. My specs are in my sig minus the case. Is this it??????

Code:
--- Opening Log file [January 10 06:03:39 UTC] 

# Windows SMP Console Edition #################################################
###############################################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 6.34

[url]http://folding.stanford.edu[/url]

Launch directory: C:\Users\FISTER_\FAH
Executable: C:\Users\FISTER_\FAH\fah6.exe
Arguments: -smp 4 

[06:03:39] - Ask before connecting: No
[06:03:39] - User name: FISTER_ (Team 32)
[06:03:39] - User ID: 3B**************
[06:03:39] - Machine ID: 1
[06:03:39] 
[06:03:39] Loaded queue successfully.
[06:03:39] + Processing work unit
[06:03:39] Core required: FahCore_a3.exe
[06:03:39] Core found.
[06:03:39] Working on queue slot 01 [January 10 06:03:39 UTC]
[06:03:39] + Working ...
[06:03:39] *------------------------------*
[06:03:39] Folding@Home Gromacs SMP Core
[06:03:39] Version 2.27 (Dec. 15, 2010)
[06:03:39] Preparing to commence simulation
[06:03:39] - Ensuring status. Please wait.
[06:03:49] - Looking at optimizations...
[06:03:49] - Working with standard loops on this execution.
[06:03:49] - Previous termination of core was improper.
[06:03:49] - Files status OK
[06:03:49] - Expanded 786406 -> 1456592 (decompressed 185.2 percent)
[06:03:49] Called DecompressByteArray: compressed_data_size=786406 data_size=1456592, decompressed_data_size=1456592 diff=0
[06:03:49] - Digital signature verified
[06:03:49] 
[06:03:49] Project: 10128 (Run 24, Clone 1, Gen 35)
[06:03:49]

Last edited:
Yes, that's it. And this is why only 50% of your cores are being used:
Code:
Arguments: -smp 4
The -smp flag is used to 1) request multi-core work units, and 2) tell the program how many cores it should use.

If you want it to use all your cores, change that 4 to 8 (because you have 8 cores, in total. Your cpu can't tell the difference between "real" cores, and hyperthreaded ones. Or, you can just remove the number after the -smp, and by default, the folding client will always try to use all the available cores.

So, first, stop the folding client. (Ctrl+c), but not when it's due to write out it's data to the file!

Now you need to add the -configonly flag, and re-start it. That requests a new call to the configuration function, just like it was a fresh install. (folding work won't be deleted unless you time it poorly). Re-enter your data, same as before, except leave the smp flag as just -smp this time.

When you're done entering your data, the program will exit, after saving the data. Now start up the folding client program, but without the configonly flag. The new data will be read on start up, and you're set.

The way it works is, the config data is read ONLY when the console program starts, so changing it while the program is running, is useless. You have to stop it, restart it to give it the new data, (which it will accept only in configonly mode), and then start it one last time, to have that data read by the program.

Won't you be glad when the v7 folding client is all de-bugged? :D It's so much easier.

Back