• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Members Post here,...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Holy....

I just finished my first WU.... I can't believe how much faster the GPU is at this than the CPU client with my Phenom 965. Then I started reading up and saw what the average Nvidia card processes in a day compared to a Radeon card. :shock:

I think that I'm reshaping this project already, because it seems like my current rigs would all be efficient folders only if I need a space heater. Going to pickup either a GTX 560ti or 660ti and a super high-flow case Monday and do it the right way.

I didn't install any GPU client, I have the SMP CPU one.

It won't let you download the GPU client -_-

Well, hmmm. The clients have version numbers. I'm running Version 7.2.9. It allows both CPU and GPU folding. It will set itself up with defaults which work well and which you can tweak, i.e., can disable one or the other, set core usage percentage on the CPU, other tricks.

Which Version number are you running?

Welcome aboard! :beer:

folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGuide

You'll find the v7 client there, along with some info. It will set up smp and gpu automatically. Just be aware that folding on your gpu can cause some lag on your pc.

Make sure you have a passkey set up for your user name to be eligibly for quick return bonuses (QRB). Once you complete 10 SMP work units (WUs) you'll get a massive point per day (PPD) increase. GPUs will also eventually be getting QRB.

Last edited:
Err they need to update that sticky -_-

Thanks a lot hopefully this will really run me up some points while im at school.

Will we ever run out of proteins?

Will we ever run out of proteins?

Hopefully! If we have, that means that odds are quite high that we'll have found a cure to at least a handful of major diseases. In practice though, I doubt there will ever be an "end" to the folding project unless it becomes more cost-effective to compute the information in-house as opposed to via the distributed workload method.

Now I'm folding the right way, on the right track =P

GFX Card running at 100% (I assume) @ 50c, 1097 clock, fan speed of 70%
2x Xeon E5620s running at 3.5GHz OC'ed with all cores/processors at or below 55C.

Pretty good methinks. 52k points per day, estimated.

This is fun already, although I worry about somehow hurting the computer even though I know all of the components are way within acceptable temperatures and Xeons are server processors designed to constantly be on, and stressed heavily... :L paranoia.

This is fun already, although I worry about somehow hurting the computer even though I know all of the components are way within acceptable temperatures and Xeons are server processors designed to constantly be on, and stressed heavily... :L paranoia.

Glad you are up and running. :thup: I know what you mean about being paranoid over the hardware holding up. I think your rig is a LOT better suited for this type of use though. All I can think of is to replace the 4 sleeve fans I run with fluid bearings and replace the SSD with a enterprise-rated HDD. Also looking at some sort of failsafe power switch incase the system overheats, since it's going to be running unattended for such long periods.

I've got my designated system up and running in it's short-term configuration. Fixed the RAM issues and have my FX8350 up and running stable @4.2ghz (being heat cautious- just installed it on Friday and have no clue how it's gonna heat up). Paired it with my HD6870 for now, and stuck it inside my case with 9 fans. Much better situaion than running with only my mid-tower case last night. CPU and GPU are floating in the mid-40's, where last night they were touching 55+ :D

Just the CPU is estimated at ~12k PPD, compared to something ridiculous like 3k PPD from my Phenom. MY GPU still is jumping around in estiamtes too much to peg down, but the 560/660ti should be replacing it this week anyway.

XD 9 case fans, thats a ton, I currently have 12 including the 4 on the CM 212 EVOs, and have 3 MassCool ~2700 RPMs in the mail coming to me... whew, if this doesn't keep it cool, nothing willl =P

whew, if this doesn't keep it cool, nothing willl =P

You could always do what I'm doing with my rig in the evening when it's cold out.... I'm using it as a space heater! My desk is at window height, so I've got the front literally inside the track of the window frame, pulling cold air from outside and pushing hot out the top and back into the room. It's 49F outside right now and 72F inside the office space. :p

Sidenote: learned tonight that my HTPC is NOT a good folding machine. 350 PPD while overheating. :sly:

You could always do what I'm doing with my rig in the evening when it's cold out.... I'm using it as a space heater! My desk is at window height, so I've got the front literally inside the track of the window frame, pulling cold air from outside and pushing hot out the top and back into the room. It's 49F outside right now and 72F inside the office space.

Brilliant lol, its 0F outside right now here in Michigan, I bet I would the internal temps to like 40f If I did what you did XD

Hey all,

I have heard of folding@home and thought to post in this section and mention that using your GPUs to mine for Litecoins by running a modified SHA-256 algorithm you can participate in securing up and coming virtual currency networks while at the same time making money with your GPUs with the coins you mine.

It's pretty cool stuff. Before I just used to use my GPUs for gaming and ****, now I can point them to Litecoin and make some coin/profit.

that's what I'm into at the moment. feel free to ask questions.

Aloha

Late better than never..

Started last night on my laptop and joined the team today,can't wait to get back to my lovely 4.8 2600k..wanna see what it can do:) soooo excited..yeahhhh \m/ for humanity

Back