• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Members Post here,...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:welcome: To the Folding Team :)

From my experience on folding with single socket CPU's, you are better off saving the i7 to feed your GPU's. AFAIK the rule is still 2 cores per GPU, which causes you to gimp the i7's folding power to make sure the GPU's are properly feed :)
The GPU's don't have to be water cooled, unless you want to. Many of us run them on their stock cooling.
I will give you a BIG tip that I have learned over the years of folding. Set up a separate rig that is dedicated to just folding, instead of using your main computer. I found out ( using my main gaming computer for folding ) that I would shut down my folding to watch a movie, encode a movie or MP3 CD, Ect, Ect. This takes away from your GPU's or CPU's folding power and majority of the time, will cause F@H to crash or have a serious impact on your PPD.

Hopefully some others will also chime in with their knowledge of folding :thup:

And again :welcome: to Folding Team 32.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Here! Here! :D Once we're past this 105+ temperature season I can get back to folding. :thup:

:comp:

These temperatures are a real problem in my life. I had to power down my rig last night because my room was a solid 10-15 degrees hotter than the rest of my already warm house. Our AC just can't keep up right now.

:welcome: To the Folding Team :)

From my experience on folding with single socket CPU's, you are better off saving the i7 to feed your GPU's. AFAIK the rule is still 2 cores per GPU, which causes you to gimp the i7's folding power to make sure the GPU's are properly feed :)
The GPU's don't have to be water cooled, unless you want to. Many of us run them on their stock cooling.
I will give you a BIG tip that I have learned over the years of folding. Set up a separate rig that is dedicated to just folding, instead of using your main computer. I found out ( using my main gaming computer for folding ) that I would shut down my folding to watch a movie, encode a movie or MP3 CD, Ect, Ect. This takes away from your GPU's or CPU's folding power and majority of the time, will cause F@H to crash or have a serious impact on your PPD.

Hopefully some others will also chime in with their knowledge of folding :thup:

And again :welcome: to Folding Team 32.

Thanks for the heads up about CPU folding, i'll stick to GPU only. I've been running air cooling on my gtx 970 at really low temps, so that's a non-issue but i still want to watercool my gpu since i'm already prepping a custom loop for my cpu. I'm also trying to move the radiator somewhere else so i can push that heat output outside my tiny room, which will help me keep my rig up on those hotter days.

These temperatures are a real problem in my life. I had to power down my rig last night because my room was a solid 10-15 degrees hotter than the rest of my already warm house. Our AC just can't keep up right now.

Thanks for the heads up about CPU folding, i'll stick to GPU only. I've been running air cooling on my gtx 970 at really low temps, so that's a non-issue but i still want to watercool my gpu since i'm already prepping a custom loop for my cpu. I'm also trying to move the radiator somewhere else so i can push that heat output outside my tiny room, which will help me keep my rig up on those hotter days.

Stick the rad out the window! :thup:
Might heat the GPU's up more though if it's hotter outside..
I CPU fold still, FX in the sig folding 4 cores is worth about 8K :shrug:

:welcome: to the team BTW!! :clap:

I had that problem last year. At the start of spring this year, the wife told me " I will not put up with this heat again this year" :argue:. I said Okay :chair:
I did not think that she would go to Home Depot and buy the Biggest And Most Expensive window A/C unit :eek:

Stick the rad out the window! :thup:
Might heat the GPU's up more though if it's hotter outside..
I CPU fold still, FX in the sig folding 4 cores is worth about 8K :shrug:

:welcome: to the team BTW!! :clap:

Putting my radiator outside? That's absurd!
Just kidding, I'm working on doing that in my buildlog here
Right now it's just proof of concept to see if my system can be cooled outdoors in Texas temperatures. It's been hitting 105+F temps here lately. I also need to calculate how many watts of heat my system is putting out to see if a 2x120 rad with leafblower fans is adequate.

I had that problem last year. At the start of spring this year, the wife told me " I will not put up with this heat again this year" :argue:. I said Okay :chair:
I did not think that she would go to Home Depot and buy the Biggest And Most Expensive window A/C unit :eek:
If energy consumption wasn't a concern for me i would probably just go buy a window AC unit and duct it into my pc intake lol!

Putting my radiator outside? That's absurd!
Just kidding, I'm working on doing that in my buildlog here
Right now it's just proof of concept to see if my system can be cooled outdoors in Texas temperatures. It's been hitting 105+F temps here lately. I also need to calculate how many watts of heat my system is putting out to see if a 2x120 rad with leafblower fans is adequate.

If energy consumption wasn't a concern for me i would probably just go buy a window AC unit and duct it into my pc intake lol!

We could all move to the South pole and not have to deal with heat again, but the with all these folders, it might speed up the ice to melt :rofl:

Whats not to love huh? Erm......the amount of heat generated? I cannot wait for a REAL arctic front to come down from canada into south texas and get us into fall.
Ahh right...
More heat in Texas.... :(

See up here it's my room heater lol

Back