• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Members Post here,...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i started folding under the name dump_zog_now. just casually whenever I happen to have the computer on, 8-16 hours a day depending on whether I work or not. Hardly notice it running. :)

Welcome.

I joined 3 weeks ago and i am very impressed by the reception.
You won't regret joining!

But remember: Fold for your life!

also new ... just started folding (and posting on these forums hehe)

You guys sure this isnt bad for your comp? I hear more noise coming from my comp, meaning the fan has to work harder to keep the cpu cool.

I'm going to put the permission letter here, but I think it should be on the first post.

Dear (Recipient’s Name Here)

I am writing on behalf of the members of the Folding@Home community in regards to obtaining permission to run the Folding@Home client on school computers.

The Folding@Home project is a project that uses spare processor cycles and uses them to calculate and track how a protein would fold/misfold/aggregate. The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease.

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. The folding client (the program that does the work) only takes up the spare cpu cycles that are currently not in use. Think of a cycle as an glass of water. When you just browse the internet, you only drink 1/20 of the glass, and the rest is unused.... The folding client "drinks" the other bits of water. Say when you want to browse the internet, or open something, the client lets the other programs take as much as they need. This in no way spies on your activities. The only log that it outputs is so you would be able to track what is going on while it works. (and it also has times in it ((GMT))). Studies have been shown that Folding@Home does not impact the performance of the computers, and add it only needs internet access to receive work packets and to send results.

If security is an issue with your decision on allowing the client to be installed, the F@H client is quite safe. It uses a digital signature that is verified with each download of a new work unit. The signature is a very way safe of verification and uses todays technologies to insure that no bogus files have been downloaded that may attack/affect your system. The Folding@Home project does not cost anything to you. Aside from the fact that you can form your own team to compete against others in friendly competition, you do not gain anything from this, but science does and you may feel good for helping your fellow man/woman. All in all, the client is free, and runs free of any spyware(spying programs). All of the community and I wish that you would think about allowing this client to be installed on the computers you will allow. However many are allowed, we greatly thank you for your contribution.

More information can be found at the official Folding@Home site:
http://folding.stanford.edu

Sincerely,
(Your Name Here)

I'm going to put the permission letter here, but I think it should be on the first post.

Dear (Recipient’s Name Here)

I am writing on behalf of the members of the Folding@Home community in regards to obtaining permission to run the Folding@Home client on school computers.

The Folding@Home project is a project that uses spare processor cycles and uses them to calculate and track how a protein would fold/misfold/aggregate. The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease.

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. The folding client (the program that does the work) only takes up the spare cpu cycles that are currently not in use. Think of a cycle as an glass of water. When you just browse the internet, you only drink 1/20 of the glass, and the rest is unused.... The folding client "drinks" the other bits of water. Say when you want to browse the internet, or open something, the client lets the other programs take as much as they need. This in no way spies on your activities. The only log that it outputs is so you would be able to track what is going on while it works. (and it also has times in it ((GMT))). Studies have been shown that Folding@Home does not impact the performance of the computers, and add it only needs internet access to receive work packets and to send results.

If security is an issue with your decision on allowing the client to be installed, the F@H client is quite safe. It uses a digital signature that is verified with each download of a new work unit. The signature is a very way safe of verification and uses todays technologies to insure that no bogus files have been downloaded that may attack/affect your system. The Folding@Home project does not cost anything to you. Aside from the fact that you can form your own team to compete against others in friendly competition, you do not gain anything from this, but science does and you may feel good for helping your fellow man/woman. All in all, the client is free, and runs free of any spyware(spying programs). All of the community and I wish that you would think about allowing this client to be installed on the computers you will allow. However many are allowed, we greatly thank you for your contribution.

More information can be found at the official Folding@Home site:
http://folding.stanford.edu

Sincerely,
(Your Name Here)

Noob here

I have a PIII 933 I can kick in, will be setting it up to fold this weekend. Maybe a celeron 550 as well.

Noob here

I have a PIII 933 I can kick in, will be setting it up to fold this weekend. Maybe a celeron 550 as well.

Warhawk said:
Im new and ready to go =)

Axeman said:

Welcome to the team guys! we are delighted to have you with us!

FOLD ON
NAS

cV said:
Heh, 3 systems folding here. 2 part time, the most powerful of them all full-time.

:mad: :D :mad:

sweet cV! glad to have you folding with us! let us know if there is anything we can do for you and we will try our best!

FOLD ON
NAS

Wibla said:
w00t!

Just started folding for Team 32 on my P3 700MHz :D

Codeman05 said:
Just started folding last week and just reached 100points!
More rigs coming up next week

Welcome to the both of you!

as NAS stated above to cV if theres something you need, dont be afraid to ask :)

and wow how our community has grown, and yet sadly decreased in some way....i think i posted on the 13th page...wow were already on 26 welcome to all new folders whom i have not welcomed, you are the lifeblood of the team and can get rigs more than us whom have our max :D

Good luck folding to all of you...careful, once ur bit ur hooked for good :)

'Gumpy

hey guys. sorry i didn't post here straight away. i've been folding for about a week. i have my machine (sig) my mom's 1Ghz P3 and my girlfriends 1.6P4 willy folding at the moment. i'm working on my friends dad because he has 7 machines on his network. 3 xp2200's a P4 1.8 Northy an xp2000 and 2 P3 933's. lotsa potential there.

i'm under the same name on the folding pages.

sorry again for no intro.

welcom to the team, and i hope you get your buds dad shop to fold for you, loots of folding power just siting there, even if they only fold during buisness hours, thats a lot of amd ppw to speed you up the ranks :D

Back