• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Members Post here,...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
new here ! (sorry for the other post ! :(). Just wondering somehting. is it better to run folding graphical in the background ? And how much time is it supposed to take to crunch a Sidechain protein on a K6-2 ?

Just started up with the team. Forgot to set it to team 32 but
after reading this thread, I reset it. Where do I go to look up my WU's? Is there a way to set it so it auto starts when Windows 2K is started?

dvj81 said:
Just started up with the team. Forgot to set it to team 32 but
after reading this thread, I reset it. Where do I go to look up my WU's? Is there a way to set it so it auto starts when Windows 2K is started?

Welcome to the Team! :D
If you are the only one who logs into the system then the installer should have placed a shortcut in the startup folder so that it starts when windows starts. If you aren't the only one logging in then it can be run as a scheduled task that starts whenever the computer is started, no matter who logs in. THe only thing with that is that you won't be able to view the client running, but it works.

Thanx Joanne and Ploaf. I take it you have to have at least one WU before you show up on the list? About how long does a WU take? My AMD 750MHz (oc'd to 798) has been up for 24hrs and only 93/100 done.

dvj81 said:
Thanx Joanne and Ploaf. I take it you have to have at least one WU before you show up on the list? About how long does a WU take? My AMD 750MHz (oc'd to 798) has been up for 24hrs and only 93/100 done.

You will have to complete one wu before you show up in the stats.
As for the time it takes... It depends. Each wu is different.
There is thread dedicated to determining the times for each wu here - http://forums.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58254

There are times for various proteins and cpu's and it should help to give you a good idea as to whether your system is being all it can be. ;) It is a long thread though.

Ploaf is our folding expert. and I'M glad he is. I finnally found my name on the list. wooooo 61... this current one - well I just don't have the time to know everything. I'm reading up on all the mobo's and chips. trying make up my mind on my next computer. this will probably take me 6-7 months. ( i'm slow and budget is low )

Thanks Skip for sending me all the e-mails.

Joanne

:beer: :beer: :burn:

Just join a week ago i think, got 6wu's or something like that.
Since I cant use the idle function my cpu temps are not affected by this so why not i thought.
Update the members list plz!

Keep foldin'.... !!!!!!

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project, the sole purpose of which is to figure out how proteins fold and misfold in the body so that we can come up with medicines/treatments to help prevent diseases that are caused by misfolded proteins. This task requires amazing amounts of computational power. The projects are divided into smaller tasks which are sent out to users on the internet to take advantage of the power of thousands of individual pc's all connected to the internet. The power they derive from this method is greater, although different in function and ability, than most supercomputers and is useful for this sort of task. In this project we allow, in the case of Folding@Home, Stanford University's Pandegroup(the people running the project) to send information that needs to be calculated to our computers. The computer performs the calculation and sends the work back to Stanford where it will then get more work to complete. The results from the project will be released to the public and it is proving useful to IBM, NASA and a few other folks and has received the endorsement of Intel.
We have gathered into a team that competes with other teams to see who can do the most work. The science of the project is serious. The teams and competition are just something to help keep your interest. Hope that helps. If not then more information can be found at http://folding.stanford.edu

Just joined, already done 3 Sidechains on my new 1ghz Duron (Morgan core). Already overclocked to 1.12 and once i unlock it im pretty sure i can get 1.2 out of it (9x133).

In the original Folding@Home project i folded for HardOCP but now i much prefer Overclockers (site and forums). I was using my old celeron 500 (now broken) to fold for [H] and now i've got my new PC im folding for Overclockers...

F@H seems a pretty good way to 'burn in' a CPU...

Well, I'm not sure if this helps, but I've joined using my poor old Compaq proprietary piece of s__t. Its a p3 800 w/ 256 mb sdram. Not sure what it truly clockin @, can't even figure out who the actual manufacturer was on the mobo. but I've at least made sure it has plenty of cooling. (btw- the Compaq is only temp till I get my mod up n runnin). Please let me know if I did it right and enter me on the next updated members list. Thanx!

Members, keep foldin! :beer:

Just joined today. Was running Seti for a long time!! Got tired of seeing little result. Figured this would be a much better use of computer time. You never know, we might find a cure for something important.:D I'm currently running a factory unlocked Athlon 1.4 t-bird@1547mhz. Hope I can contribute a lot of WU's to the team, it will be running in the background all the time except when i'm playing games.:)

k just joined my name is Spyder team 32 is that how i was supposed to do it

Last edited:
Dragonbud said:
Hi everyone,
Just installed folding @home on my p4.
:D
folding @home still fairly new to me.
I read the faq, but after working all day today, my eyes are hurting and most of it didnt absorb.

just a few more questions..
if i close it (ex. power failure), do i lose all the wu progress or does it just stop where it is and continues when i run the program again?

does the program itself turn the completed wu's by itself or do i have to do it manually?

my cpus are only "on-line" when i'm @home, i have a 9-5job.
also have a 633mhz celeron @ work, will also stat using that to fold tomorrow.

foldfoldfold

:beer:

Welcome aboard, Dragonbud!

The program is automatic, It only has to be online to send and receive completed work and new work. If you have a power failure or turn your rigs off, it will resume where it left off when you power back up. :cool:

Back