• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD backup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shtweazel

Registered
First of all, I checked with Shadow before posting this, so please don't jump my case about the subject, and please don't turn this thread into one that will be deleted or locked. I am using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5. I am trying to make a backup Diablo II play CD (the original is legal and belongs to me), and I can't seem to get it to work. Are there any suggestions as to what I might do to a make a backup of this CD? Thanks.

Roxio Easy CD Creator 5...i don't want to say what i think of this program right here...does not backup protected cd's (anyway that's illegal). Try Clonecd, you can download the demo at download.com. sorry for the link

I didn't think it was illegal to make a backup CD for personal use? What about Nero? Is it much better than EZ CD 5?

most of the new cds use copyright protection on thier cd. they put weak clusters on the cd and when the cd burner tries to copy it the cd burner fixes those weak clusters and when you try to use it and the cd checks for the weak clusters they are gone. if you goto clonecd.net they have a program called clony cd that tells you what kind of protection is on it. there are ways around the protection but i can't tell you how because im not compltly sure how to do it, actuall i don't eve have a cd burner:D

If you use Nero or Easy Cd-creator to make backup copies of copy protected games the backup copies will not work.
You need to use CloneCD to get exact copies that will work. That's assuming your burner allows for Safedisk 2 copying (i.e. you have a plextor/lite-on/yamaha drive)

FYI, it is NOT illegal to make a cd backup if you own the orginal.
it clearly states in every licence agreement on games (you know the 20page long thing on every game where it asks if you agree to the terms?) that you can make a backup copy of the game for use by YOU if you OWN the game itself. it says you can make the backup for main use to preserve the orginal or for archival purposes.

Sorry about posting in the wrong area. ;) I figured out one of my problems: my CD-ROM is a POS. It can't read sub-channels! If I make an image of the CD using my burner, and then burn that image on a CD-R, the new CD works perfectly. I guess it's time for that upgrage to a DVD drive!:D

Back