• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 head-to-head: 1156 vs. 1366

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks Ed, just trying to keep up with all you guys that provide excellent info/posts/articles on a daily basis around here :thup:

Thanks for stepping in with the GTX285/5870 tests because I have neither of those cards to test with ATM ;)

Yeah, they are really close for SLI scaling. Not all P55 boards support 775 mounting holes. Most actually don't AFAIK, but there are ones that have both 1156 and 775.

1366 will run Gulftown with a BIOS update, but $350 will probably only get you 2 cores :beer:

damn, unless i have $600 or more to drop on a cpu, i wont be seeing 6 cores, 12 thread goodness anytime soon. ill just go with the 4 cores 8 threads.

are the gulftowns the TICK from intels TICK TOCK cpu thing? like is gulftown a whole new architecture or is it a smaller nehalem with 2 more cores on it?

Probably more like $1500 :( It's 32nm and is basically a die shrunk Nehalem, though there are some changes (cache, etc.).

I'm with you, I've never shelled out $1K+ for a proc (but I might not be able to control myself this time :)). The reason it will be so expensive for launch is the Extreme will be the only one released unless something changes between now and then.

LOL, leave it to Intel to come up with a catchy phrase for product development cycles, but yeah Gulftown is TICK, Sandy Bridge will be TOCK.

Probably more like $1500 :( It's 32nm and is basically a die shrunk Nehalem, though there are some changes (cache, etc.).

I'm with you, I've never shelled out $1K+ for a proc (but I might not be able to control myself this time :)). The reason it will be so expensive for launch is the Extreme will be the only one released unless something changes between now and then.

LOL, leave it to Intel to come up with a catchy phrase for product development cycles, but yeah Gulftown is TICK, Sandy Bridge will be TOCK.

damn, i read somewhere that the gulftown was going to be an extreme only chip. damn them.

sandy bridge is going to be clarkdale (one 32nm Nehalem cpu and one 45nm gpu) but under one solid die. clarkdale will have two separate dies (like the Q6600)

damn it, now im going to have to google up and read about clarkade. if there is going to be a 4 core 8 thread Clarkdale 32nm chip, i may just buy that if it comes out soon.

Back