• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for low watt cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PearlJammzz

I have a MATX setup now for my server (just downloads w/ BT, and serves files to my HTPC. It does little else, ever.) that supports am2, am2+, and am3. Currently it's equipped w/ a single core am2 3000+. Anyone have a chart listing the power consumption of AMD processors? I am trying to see if I can get the price of running this guy a little cheaper if at all while giving it a little bit of a performance boost (although the performance isn't rlly much needed. It wouldn't hurt if I could do my encoding on this machine as well one day instead of using my q6700 machine).

Any help would be MUCHO appreciated!

I have a MATX setup now for my server (just downloads w/ BT, and serves files to my HTPC. It does little else, ever.) that supports am2, am2+, and am3. Currently it's equipped w/ a single core am2 3000+. Anyone have a chart listing the power consumption of AMD processors? I am trying to see if I can get the price of running this guy a little cheaper if at all while giving it a little bit of a performance boost (although the performance isn't rlly much needed. It wouldn't hurt if I could do my encoding on this machine as well one day instead of using my q6700 machine).

Any help would be MUCHO appreciated!

What's your hardware config? If you have a mobo that supports the most recent AMD CPU's just get the Sempron 140 and undervolt it until Prime95 croaks. Should be a nice improvement on a 3000+ running at 1.8 GHz.

Me too.
Failing that, get a 4850e, they're rated at 45w and can generally be undervolted nicely. I expect a modern sempron to be better though, being 45nm instead of 65.

That Sempron 140 looks nice. Being AM3 though, does that mean I'll have to switch out my ram for DDR3? My board supposedly supports AM2+ and AM3. I'll be all over it if I can keep my DDR2 ram still, and be able to use it.

All AM3 cpus (so far, at least) can be used in AM2+ (and AM2?) motherboards with DDR2 ram.

That Sempron 140 looks nice. Being AM3 though, does that mean I'll have to switch out my ram for DDR3? My board supposedly supports AM2+ and AM3. I'll be all over it if I can keep my DDR2 ram still, and be able to use it.

If a board supports DDR2 it cant run DDR3. AM3/AM2+/AM2 is only referring to cpu.

Back