• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rezi

Registered
Hi guys.

For my PC build, I was planning on buying a E7600 CPU, but people recommended buying a E7400 and OC it. But instead of that, I'm going to OC the E7500 since I found it cheaper than the E7400 on a website.

Now I'm a total noob when it comes to OC, I know it's all about editing the BIOS and stuff. So I'm just wondering, can anyone post some experiences with OC the E7500 (I'm hoping to get it up to at least 4.0Ghz).

Thank you!

First I would recomend reading the sticky about overclocking the CQ2...very informative and relevant to your setup..you can find it Here

Asking for specific overclocks are just setting yourself up for disappointments.
I know that the sticky is a long read, but it has helped many many noob's get fantastic overclocks that they could not have done otherwise...it helped me, and I have been around the overclocking world since 1998.

We old dogs learn new tricks all the time..which is why I'm still here, that and I like to help others get good results from their efforts.
Good Luck, and Welcome to the forums.

Also, you may want to create a "signature" with all your system specs. That will make it easier for people to help you. Looks like you'll want to shoot for at least a 364MHz FSB for 4.004GHz (11*364MHz). Reading the C2D/C2Q sticky is probably the best advice for rookies, then ask more specific questions when needed.

Good plan.
Read all that you can.
Those little E7XXXs are great overclockers.
e7300val.jpg

24/7.
I also OC'd an E7300 on an old ABIT AW9 to 4200mhz with only 1.36V Vcore.
Probably could have gone higher but my MCH Voltage was killin' me.
Good chips.
I'd like to try an E7500.

First I would recomend reading the sticky about overclocking the CQ2...very informative and relevant to your setup..you can find it Here

Asking for specific overclocks are just setting yourself up for disappointments.
I know that the sticky is a long read, but it has helped many many noob's get fantastic overclocks that they could not have done otherwise...it helped me, and I have been around the overclocking world since 1998.

We old dogs learn new tricks all the time..which is why I'm still here, that and I like to help others get good results from their efforts.
Good Luck, and Welcome to the forums.

Thank you very much! I'll read that article right away!

Also, you may want to create a "signature" with all your system specs. That will make it easier for people to help you. Looks like you'll want to shoot for at least a 364MHz FSB for 4.004GHz (11*364MHz). Reading the C2D/C2Q sticky is probably the best advice for rookies, then ask more specific questions when needed.

The only problem with that is that I haven't made my PC yet, I'm planning ahead. Thanks for the advice though!

Good plan.
Read all that you can.
Those little E7XXXs are great overclockers.
e7300val.jpg

24/7.
I also OC'd an E7300 on an old ABIT AW9 to 4200mhz with only 1.36V Vcore.
Probably could have gone higher but my MCH Voltage was killin' me.
Good chips.
I'd like to try an E7500.

WOW! You did that with an E7300?! That would save me a hell of a lot of money. Was it a lot of work? Or was it quite straightforward getting it to 4Ghz?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem with that is that I haven't made my PC yet, I'm planning ahead. Thanks for the advice though!

Gotcha.

Well, what other components are you looking at buying for this build?

Gotcha.

Well, what other components are you looking at buying for this build?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 (Overclock to 4Ghz) or E7300 (Due to inspiration from the guy above)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR

RAM: Kingston 3GB 1333MHz DDR3

Optical Drive: LiteOn SPR Allwrite, DVD+-24X8X8/8X4

HDD: Hitachi 500GB Deskstar P7K500 7200rpm HDD

GPU: Gigabyte ATI HD4850 PCI-E 2.0 1GB 256-bit GDDR3

Case: Coolermaster Elite 334/335 420W PSU

There you go. Is this all compatible? Does it work together?

3GB DDR3? Go 4GB, its still dual channel.

I would also go 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black.

Maybe a bit larger wattage PSU. What you selected will be fine, but a little more headroom never hurts.

You might want to consider the case and its fan capacity as well as the stability of the PSU. I am beginning to OC also and temps are apparently critical. There are others much more capable than me to give advice in these areas.
My case is Coolermaster Gladiator RC600.
Also the E7500 runs at 2.93 standard. a little better than some lower E7xxx Multipliers so if the price is right it may give that little extra for standard computing.

Last edited:
3GB DDR3? Go 4GB, its still dual channel.

I would also go 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black.

Maybe a bit larger wattage PSU. What you selected will be fine, but a little more headroom never hurts.

The only problem with 4GB, is that I'm about to get the 32-bit version of Windows 7, and that can only read 3 to 3.5gbs of RAM.

With the PSU, I thought 420W was probably enough, plus I get a case with it, so I save money.

You might want to consider the case and its fan capacity as well as the stability of the PSU. I am beginning to OC also and temps are apparently critical. There are others much more capable than me to give advice in these areas.
My case is Coolermaster Gladiator RC600.
Also the E7500 runs at 2.93 standard. a little better than some lower E7xxx Multipliers so if the price is right it may give that little extra for standard computing.

What do you mean? Coolermasters are usually quite reliable. I don't know about the PSU, but it seems alright.

And I completely forgot I was actually going to buy the E7500 cus I found it on a site at a cheaper price than the E7400, amazing huh? :p

Well temps are a concern for OC. So better to spend money on a case that keeps components cooler than one which easily becomes heated and difficult to cool. So how does your proposed case compare with those who have cases which are regarded as adequate for OC
There is much more to PSU than I will probably ever know but from what I understand experienced OCers usually have higher quality PSU than standard OEM so look through forums to get an idea on these matters.
If your case and PSU prove inadequate you may regret your purchase. A few extra dollars now may save more in future. Again I would emphasize do some homework to ensure you are happy with your purchase.
These things make sense to me but find out from those who really have the experience to help!:)

Getting a PSU separately would prolly be a good idea. PSUs that come with cases are usually not very good.

Since your motherboard does DUAL channel DDR3, you'll need either 2 or 4 sticks of RAM to run in dual channel mode. So, go with 2GB or 4GB. I would go 4GB b/c you'll still be able to use most of that 4GB. If you decide to upgrade to 64bit OS, you'll gain that ~0.5GB back.

If you REALLY wanted 3GB only, you'll have to buy 2x1GB and 2x512MB that run at the same timings and voltages (or just downclock one set to the speed of the other). I did this with 2x2GB GSkill and 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 to get 6GB total and it worked fine.

Also, I noticed you didn't have an aftermarket heatsink listed, which you'll need if you plan to OC much at all, especially to 4GHz like you want.

Back