Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has anyone ever attempted a pc within a pc using an atom?

Most of us don't need supercomputers to check our email, just to game. So my question is why aren't there pcislot computers using atom technology yet, I mean this whole "green" fad going on, why isn't there an atom based pci slot solution to use when power isn't needed? Might be a nice side project... or maybe a 5.25 bay computer...
    Last edited by mas5acre; 09-30-09 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mas5acre View Post
    Most of us don't need supercomputers to check our email, just to game. So my question is why aren't there pcislot computers using atom technology yet, I mean this whole "green" fad going on, why isn't there an atom based pci slot solution to use when power isn't needed? Might be a nice side project...

I use a HP 5720 thin client which runs XPe. However I have installed a full version of XP on it. Its an AMD 1000mhz with 1 gig of RAM, and a 4gig Flash.

By default it has 256MB of RAM and 512MB flash.

I have it connected in the bedroom on the 32" LCD, wireless keyboard and mouse. Works great. Even can stream from netflix.

Uses 26 watts. I never shut it off..

Quote Originally Posted by Joeteck View Post
    I use a HP 5720 thin client which runs XPe. However I have installed a full version of XP on it. Its an AMD 1000mhz with 1 gig of RAM, and a 4gig Flash.

By default it has 256MB of RAM and 512MB flash.

I have it connected in the bedroom on the 32" LCD, wireless keyboard and mouse. Works great. Even can stream from netflix.

Uses 26 watts. I never shut it off..
    Not what I meant, but I do love the wattage of your computer! What I mean is taking a small space atom computer and building it into a 5.25 bay, or pci slot/dual slots. I was thinking about this when the only reason I turned on my computer today was to check my bank balance.

Not sure what it was Member Theocnoob's Avatar
    Not what I meant, but I do love the wattage of your computer! What I mean is taking a small space atom computer and building it into a 5.25 bay, or pci slot/dual slots. I was thinking about this when the only reason I turned on my computer today was to check my bank balance.
    Not a bad idea. You could do it easily. Just port the wires out the back through a gutted PCI slot cover and get a switch to use your I/O devices with it.

Go for it. Can't be hard.

It's not PCI based, but it's the same concept
    I don't think it's even on the market yet, news was released about a week ago.

The DFI Hybrid
    P45-ION-T2A2
    My Thread.
    TweakTown
    Desk Puter - Foxconn C51GU01; AMD X2 3800+ - Dual 2.0Ghz; 1.5gb RAM; Nvidia 6600GT pcie; Win 7 64 bit / Mint 9
    NetBook - Acer Aspire One D250: 160Gb HDD: Win 7 / Backtrack 4 / Mint Debian / MeeGo
    Server Puter - Supermicro X5DAE; Dual Processor - E7505 XEON - Dual 2.66Ghz; 2gb RAM: Nvidia 6600GT agp; Win 7 32 bit / Mint 9.
    HEAT
    Restarting a computer is not how you fix a problem...
    I suffer from
    Fenestraephobia
    I don't think being turned on while turning it on is too high on the creepy list - freakdiablo

Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Thermaltake Mozart PC cases are designed to run a full size ATX and an ITX board in the same case. Think that is as close as you are going to get.

It would be great if we went back to the older style of motherboards. Where it is more of a backplane and upgrades did not require replacing the entire thing just some cards on it.

Guess this would be too expensive to reimplemetn though and make it harder for nubs.
    All rants I produce are sole property of 127.0.0.1.
    10 types of people understand binary.
    Suck iiiiiitttttttttt. -Shawn Spencer
    Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Joeteck View Post

WOW very cool, usually the best ideas someone's already came up with... The first one's a celeron socket not an atom, can't seem to find anything on the third one...linky?
    Last edited by mas5acre; 10-01-09 at 04:42 PM.

Some motherboards have built in linux that boot in 5 seconds.
    Less time on = less power

Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by denz_1 View Post
    Some motherboards have built in linux that boot in 5 seconds.
    Less time on = less power
    That's hardly power-saving. It is still running your high-power CPU and GPU, your 16-disk RAID 10, etc.
    ASRock 990FX Extreme9 - FX-8350 - 32GiB 1600 Crucial low-profile 1.35v - 7970 3GiB - 8.1 Pro x64 / Gentoo amd64 - AX760
    Dell XPS 15 L502x - i7 2760QM - 16GiB 1600 - GT 540M 2GiB - 7 Pro x64 / Gentoo amd64 - Agility 4 512GB

[GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
    "Apparently, Plaintiff believes that he could sue an egg company for fraud for labeling a carton of 12 eggs a “dozen,” because some bakers would view a “dozen” as including 13 items." - Western Digital 2006
    Folding User Stats

Author Profile
    Single board computers, like ones in the form of PCI cards were pretty expensive everywhere last time I checked, something like at least $200. Even when you pop one of those in, you'd need a KVM to jump between that and your main rig. Might as well mod an inexpensive atom mini itx system into your case and use a KVM, or just have a separate desktop that's an atom based system. You could probably share the power supply (all rails) easily enough, except you would need to be able to disable power to the main system when you wanted it off.

10 Year Badge
    WOW very cool, usually the best ideas someone's already came up with... The first one's a celeron socket not an atom, can't seem to find anything on the third one...linky?

1. Celeron

2. Photoshop

3.Looks like some sort of Network Card with an option CPU upgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r-y3...eature=channel

just saw this on youtube.

A PC in a keyboard. Atom based.
    THAT'S cool. There's your secondary for low end use, you can output it to your monitor and no doubt USB it to your main rig for use as a regular KB then use both systems simultaneously, the atom system on the KB screen, or on the main screen when needed by simply switching inputs.. Assuming you have a screen that allows multiple inputs. Otherwise a switch would be needed..

Quote Originally Posted by Theocnoob View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r-y3...eature=channel

just saw this on youtube.

A PC in a keyboard. Atom based.
    THAT'S cool. There's your secondary for low end use, you can output it to your monitor and no doubt USB it to your main rig for use as a regular KB then use both systems simultaneously, the atom system on the KB screen, or on the main screen when needed by simply switching inputs.. Assuming you have a screen that allows multiple inputs. Otherwise a switch would be needed..

Now, that my friend is sweet, and very useful!

Perhaps this is finally that piece of computer hardware that can get you laid? We always knew it was coming.

10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by jstutman View Post
    1. Celeron

2. Photoshop

3.Looks like some sort of Network Card with an option CPU upgrade.
    100% agree. Great call on your part.
    Core i7-920 @ 3.66 | EVGA X58 SLI | 2x 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD RAID 0 | 1.5 TB WD Green | 24GB DDR3 1600 CAS 8 |GTX 660Ti GTX 770Folding
    Core i7-920 | Win Vista |Zalman 7000 Cu | DDR3 1333 (6 GB) | 640 GB SATA | 2 x R9 280x | Under construction for folding.
    AMD Athlon II x3 440 @ x4 B40 | Win SBS 2008 | 120 GB | DDR3 1600 (4 GB) | 2 x DVD-DL |GTX 460 1 GB Folding.

Folding User Stats
    My Heatware
    Fold for team 32.

Boulard83 @ OvercloQc.com
    BTTB
    • Gigabyte Z87X-OC • WCed 4770k • 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz cas8 • Zotac GTX 780 • Asus Xonar Pheobus
    OS Toshiba Q 256gb • Games 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0 • Corsair HX850 • Tecnofront HWD BenchTable • Asus VE278Q 5760x1080

HTPC • Gigabyte H77m-D3H • G2020 • NT-06 • 2x4gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz • Asus GTX 650 TI • SB Recon3D
    X25-m 80gb • Enermax 550w • Lian Li PC-C60B

Server • Asus Z77m PRO • 2500K • NH-C12P • 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
    Agility 4 128gb • Corsair CX430M • 2X 1TB Black • 1x 2TB green

KatPat • Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 • FX-8320 • PH-TC14CS • 2x4gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz • GTS 450 + Accelero L2 Plus
    Samsung Evo 120gb • Corsair HX750 • Bitfenix Survivor White • Asus VE247H

Quote Originally Posted by curtis1552 View Post
    It's not PCI based, but it's the same concept
    I don't think it's even on the market yet, news was released about a week ago.

The DFI Hybrid
    P45-ION-T2A2
    My Thread.
    TweakTown
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulard83 View Post
    Tweaktown gave the original story.
    Still can't find it on DFI's site.

Nifty concept.
    Desk Puter - Foxconn C51GU01; AMD X2 3800+ - Dual 2.0Ghz; 1.5gb RAM; Nvidia 6600GT pcie; Win 7 64 bit / Mint 9
    NetBook - Acer Aspire One D250: 160Gb HDD: Win 7 / Backtrack 4 / Mint Debian / MeeGo
    Server Puter - Supermicro X5DAE; Dual Processor - E7505 XEON - Dual 2.66Ghz; 2gb RAM: Nvidia 6600GT agp; Win 7 32 bit / Mint 9.
    HEAT
    Restarting a computer is not how you fix a problem...
    I suffer from
    Fenestraephobia
    I don't think being turned on while turning it on is too high on the creepy list - freakdiablo

Senior Fourm Spammer

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    not to sound/be rude but you havent heard of VIA? if you havent you should check out there Pico-ITX boards. what is interesting is to compare two retail SSF pc's, one Atom, one VIA. both small but the atom is closer to fitting in a 5.25bay, but then if you wanted another pc. why not just mod a pocket pc or smart phone, with the smart phone at least you could use the bluetooth to use wireless keyboard/mouse. smartphone would use way less power then a atom or via setup.

Intel G3258@4.2ghz | Asrock Z97M OC Formula | Galaxy GTX660 GC | PM840 Pro 128GB, PM830 FDE 250GB | SilverStone ST45SF
    i3 370M | Jetway NF98 | 2x2gig DDR3-1066 | pico 120WI | Asus GT630 2GB (GK208) |
    intel i5 2450M

"I Love To Camp!"
    "Commensing Shock Therapy!"
    I'm jonnyGURU of jonnyGURU.com and we don't overload PSU's - JonnyGURU

HeatWare

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast