• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone ever attempted a pc within a pc using an atom?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

Most of us don't need supercomputers to check our email, just to game. So my question is why aren't there pcislot computers using atom technology yet, I mean this whole "green" fad going on, why isn't there an atom based pci slot solution to use when power isn't needed? Might be a nice side project... or maybe a 5.25 bay computer...

Last edited:
Most of us don't need supercomputers to check our email, just to game. So my question is why aren't there pcislot computers using atom technology yet, I mean this whole "green" fad going on, why isn't there an atom based pci slot solution to use when power isn't needed? Might be a nice side project...

I use a HP 5720 thin client which runs XPe. However I have installed a full version of XP on it. Its an AMD 1000mhz with 1 gig of RAM, and a 4gig Flash.

By default it has 256MB of RAM and 512MB flash.

I have it connected in the bedroom on the 32" LCD, wireless keyboard and mouse. Works great. Even can stream from netflix.

Uses 26 watts. I never shut it off.. ;)

I use a HP 5720 thin client which runs XPe. However I have installed a full version of XP on it. Its an AMD 1000mhz with 1 gig of RAM, and a 4gig Flash.

By default it has 256MB of RAM and 512MB flash.

I have it connected in the bedroom on the 32" LCD, wireless keyboard and mouse. Works great. Even can stream from netflix.

Uses 26 watts. I never shut it off.. ;)

Not what I meant, but I do love the wattage of your computer!:burn: What I mean is taking a small space atom computer and building it into a 5.25 bay, or pci slot/dual slots. I was thinking about this when the only reason I turned on my computer today was to check my bank balance.

Not what I meant, but I do love the wattage of your computer!:burn: What I mean is taking a small space atom computer and building it into a 5.25 bay, or pci slot/dual slots. I was thinking about this when the only reason I turned on my computer today was to check my bank balance.

Not a bad idea. You could do it easily. Just port the wires out the back through a gutted PCI slot cover and get a switch to use your I/O devices with it.

Go for it. Can't be hard.

Thermaltake Mozart PC cases are designed to run a full size ATX and an ITX board in the same case. Think that is as close as you are going to get.

It would be great if we went back to the older style of motherboards. Where it is more of a backplane and upgrades did not require replacing the entire thing just some cards on it.

Guess this would be too expensive to reimplemetn though and make it harder for nubs.

Single board computers, like ones in the form of PCI cards were pretty expensive everywhere last time I checked, something like at least $200. Even when you pop one of those in, you'd need a KVM to jump between that and your main rig. Might as well mod an inexpensive atom mini itx system into your case and use a KVM, or just have a separate desktop that's an atom based system. You could probably share the power supply (all rails) easily enough, except you would need to be able to disable power to the main system when you wanted it off.

WOW very cool, usually the best ideas someone's already came up with... The first one's a celeron socket not an atom, can't seem to find anything on the third one...linky?

1. Celeron

2. Photoshop

3.Looks like some sort of Network Card with an option CPU upgrade.

just saw this on youtube.

A PC in a keyboard. Atom based.
THAT'S cool. There's your secondary for low end use, you can output it to your monitor and no doubt USB it to your main rig for use as a regular KB then use both systems simultaneously, the atom system on the KB screen, or on the main screen when needed by simply switching inputs.. Assuming you have a screen that allows multiple inputs. Otherwise a switch would be needed..

just saw this on youtube.

A PC in a keyboard. Atom based.
THAT'S cool. There's your secondary for low end use, you can output it to your monitor and no doubt USB it to your main rig for use as a regular KB then use both systems simultaneously, the atom system on the KB screen, or on the main screen when needed by simply switching inputs.. Assuming you have a screen that allows multiple inputs. Otherwise a switch would be needed..

Now, that my friend is sweet, and very useful!

not to sound/be rude but you havent heard of VIA? if you havent you should check out there Pico-ITX boards. what is interesting is to compare two retail SSF pc's, one Atom, one VIA. both small but the atom is closer to fitting in a 5.25bay, but then if you wanted another pc. why not just mod a pocket pc or smart phone, with the smart phone at least you could use the bluetooth to use wireless keyboard/mouse. smartphone would use way less power then a atom or via setup.

Back