10 Year Badge

How transfer Outlook Express data to Thunderbird - On Another Computer?

Within the next few weeks, as soon as I receive Windows 7, I am going to install a new SSD as a primary drive and perform a clean install. I already created a check list of everything I need to do so the process goes as smoothly as possible. However, there is one thing I need help with.

I use Outlook Express for email. Outlook Express is no longer available with W7 so I will move to Thunderbird. Thunderbird has an import function but I can see no obvious method of importing the data base of received/sent emails and the associated folder organization from Outlook Express unless it is installed on an accessible computer. Since this will be a clean install, I must be able to save all the old emails etc. to something that will be accessible from the W7 machine. How do I do this?
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1
    Intel i7 2600K
    Samsung 840 256GB SSD
    WD 750 GB Caviar Black
    16 GB G.Skill Trident DDR3 2400 (2X8GB)
    EVGA GTX 750Ti Graphics
    Corsair H50
    Corsair HX850W Power Supply
    Corsair 600T Case
    W7 Professional 64 bit

Outlook Express has been renamed Windows Live Mail, and is available for Windows 7. (MS is renaming a lot of their programs Windows Live XXX and providing them as a separate download to appease the monopoly witch hunters)

I would start looking there to see if there is a way to port the data from Outlook express to Windows Live Mail. It would probably be the easiest path since it is just moving up a version of the same product.

I haven't done it myself. There are some fairly detailed descriptions out there of how to upgrade from XP to Win7 and maintain your settings -- one of them might have a section about e-mail?