• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silver kill coil

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iceage

Anyone know a good place to get some 0.999 silver wire or coil to drop in my res? I know Petra's has a kill coil but the shipping is $8.50. Kinda steep for a small vial.

+1, Pure Sylver kill Vampire and Bacteria ;)

Jewelry shop or Petra's tech shop. Lots of Web WC part seller have kill coil.

Not sure if OP is still reading this... but anyone who isn't full aware of the "kill coil" while it is great stuff (keeps the s*** from growin in your loop) I'd recommend people to get it from a local jewelry shop as you'll probably find it cheaper, no shipping costs(which shouldn't be alot) and you can always get extra :) but this is just a personal choice :)

I found a jewelry retailer who would sell 1oz lots of 0.9999 silver. I'll have to shape the bar into something appropriate for the res, and surface area does suffer a bit. But it'll work fairly well and I could always fish it out and sell it back for silver spot price if I move away from WC.

:) you could always use some tools and make it more like a heatsink fin form factor... :p but was the 1oz cheaper than same amount from a site?

:) you could always use some tools and make it more like a heatsink fin form factor... :p but was the 1oz cheaper than same amount from a site?

Without showing my math :p - the short answer is not quite even when you factor in shipping, but factoring in the retained value of the 1oz I think its a better deal.

Ok, I'll show my math:

1oz = 28.35 grams.

Petra's kill coil = $8 for 1.3 grams (plus shipping = $8 if you bought it alone)

Jeweler = $18.80 for 28.35 grams (no shipping, but I did have to drive there :) )

Of course, the 1oz is supreme overkill for about the same surface area (not going to show the math) , but the resale value is much higher.

Buying your own silver strip would be a better price/surface area solution, but I couldn't find someone locally to sell anything but sterling silver strip. Bleh.

Oh, and I'm thinking I'll have to bend it into a cylinder to get it into the res. But I have the tools to do that.

Without showing my math :p - the short answer is not quite even when you factor in shipping, but factoring in the retained value of the 1oz I think its a better deal.

Ok, I'll show my math:

1oz = 28.35 grams.

Petra's kill coil = $8 for 1.3 grams (plus shipping = $8 if you bought it alone)

Jeweler = $18.80 for 28.35 grams (no shipping, but I did have to drive there :) )

Of course, the 1oz is supreme overkill for about the same surface area (not going to show the math) , but the resale value is much higher.

Buying your own silver strip would be a better price/surface area solution, but I couldn't find someone locally to sell anything but sterling silver strip. Bleh.

Oh, and I'm thinking I'll have to bend it into a cylinder to get it into the res. But I have the tools to do that.

Note I said "for the same *amount* from the site... that being said 1oz is like 20 kill coils... also while you can get a block of silver you can get wire and such aswell... but either way you can always reshape to suit your needs ;)

+1, Pure Sylver kill Vampire and Bacteria ;)

Jewelry shop or Petra's tech shop. Lots of Web WC part seller have kill coil.

If you have a vampire in your loop, I think you have bigger problems than bacteria. :p

I am just starting to piece together a loop. How would a piece of silver stack up to some PT Nuke? I have seen PTN recommended a lot around here, but have seen silver mentioned a lot in other places.

Mostly personal preference I think... but Silver kicks some PT Nuke dairy aire to keep it g-rated :p

all depends though... it's harder to put silver in some loops, some people just find it easier to give your loops some drops and not worry about silver going in your pump/rad/blocks or blocking flow etc...

Mostly personal preference I think... but Silver kicks some PT Nuke dairy aire to keep it g-rated :p

all depends though... it's harder to put silver in some loops, some people just find it easier to give your loops some drops and not worry about silver going in your pump/rad/blocks or blocking flow etc...

Going off what I have read, just from clicking a couple results on Google, it looks like the best way to use the coils is to put them in your tubing. I am planning to do 7/16" lines on 1/2" barbs. I am also planning on doing a t-line, due to the limited space in my Antec 900. How many coils would I need for a CPU only loop? Some of the pics I noticed in a thread at a forum showed a coil in each line. Would I really need that much if I decide to use silver, or is that overkill. I don't mean to threadjack, but thought this thread was relevant to my questions.

Thanks for the info. One more question though. Does the placement of the coil matter? Or is it ok as long as it is somewhere in the system. I am completely new to WC, and don't even have my parts yet (CPU block is on it's way though), and just want to make sure I have everything covered before I start putting it together.

Back