• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stumbled on an Intel P4 Extreme 3.4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BEEAH

Friend was give a bunch of puter parts and one of the systems had an Intel P4 3.4GHz/2M/800 processor sitting on top of a Asus P5AD-2 MB. From what I have read this thing is still a bit of a badass CPU? I see prices range from $400 to $1100 on this thing. I don't really believe that its worth anywhere near that much but I'm just looking for some inside info on this thing.

Intel P4 3.4GHz/2M/800/LGA775
SL7GD Costa Rica
3435A17

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL7GD

Seeing that I'm not running a 64 bit OS would dropping this into my main system actually be an upgrade? (Q6600)

Thanks guys.

FAR from an upgrade .. old gen CPU. GOOGLE any review of a P4 vs C2Q.

130nm vs 65nm. its 2 gen back !

The places selling it just scamming that thing I assume?

Right now this thing is sitting here without a video card basically. Would it be worth buying a cheep vid card for it and having a second rig? Would it be capeable of running a game (WoW) decently well? I haven't been updating myself on current hardware changes since I built my main machine like.. 2 years ago? Its also old but I don't believe there is still a game on the market that will make it sweat.

Last edited:
Some numbers just for ... laughing !

3dmark06 CPU
Intel Pentium D 950 3.4ghz : 1512
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.66ghz : 3507

PCmark05 CPU
Intel Pentium D 950 3.4ghz : 5702
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.66ghz : 7753

PCmark05 Memory
Intel Pentium D 950 3.4ghz : 3328
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.66ghz : 3851

Those are the older generation of super power hungry, high clockspeed, low performance CPUs. When those were around, people were running overclocked Pentium M's because they were faster. They're...not great.

The one you found will probably play WoW fine with a decent video card, but it's not worth it to build a second rig around it simply because of what you'll be paying on your electric bill.

to put it a another way too... a Core 2 cpu with a clock speed of 2.4ghz would out pace that [email protected]. in order for the P4 to match core [email protected], the p4 would need to be at 4ghz. does that show you more, how much worse that P4 is vs what you have now?

lets also not forget intel intended for the netburst arch to scale up to around 6ghz in speed. high clock speeds is where netburst is really at its best since it has a really long pipeline. that is just saying where netburst was suppose to really shine. not that it would be any better then AMD's at the time or vs current AM2/AM3/Core2/i5/i7 cpus.

Ya, definitely sell it. Some people have mobos that can't be upgraded for whatever reason that only accept P4 chips, in that situation that's a fairly good one. Plus people will overpay for the EXTREEEEEEME label on it, not realizing that in the P4 era it didn't mean nearly as much as it does now.
At the time it was a great (for intel, at least. AMD was far ahead in the P4 era) cpu. Now... My $30 e1200 beats it badly.

Or you could keep it as a chunk of computing history, or even fold on it for that matter.

to put it a another way too... a Core 2 cpu with a clock speed of 2.4ghz would out pace that [email protected]. in order for the P4 to match core [email protected], the p4 would need to be at 4ghz. does that show you more, how much worse that P4 is vs what you have now?

lets also not forget intel intended for the netburst arch to scale up to around 6ghz in speed. high clock speeds is where netburst is really at its best since it has a really long pipeline. that is just saying where netburst was suppose to really shine. not that it would be any better then AMD's at the time or vs current AM2/AM3/Core2/i5/i7 cpus.

Your forgetting something important. Would the comaprison be more like a core2 at 2.4 vs a p4 at 4GHz. IN SINGLE THREADED APPS.

core2 as two native cores which the pee4 does not.

Thanks to OEMs, and slower upgraders, top of the line chips for a given architecture, are always WAY out of the price/performance ratio

Worse then that actually, the P4 with HT going at 4ghz in a dual threaded app runs about the same as the core2duo (even a 512k l2 cache flavor) at 2.4 using only a single core for that dual threaded app.
In a single threaded app the p4 runs 20-25% more slowly (HT really works), so it's closer to 4ghz v 2ghz.
That's what my playing with wprime32 shows at least, it's entirely possible that it's different in other benchmarks.

Yea, your Q6600 would absolutely CRUSH it. But like Madman said, there does seem to be some kind of niche market for high end CPUs, no matter how old they are. Also, if you were to get this cpu up and running, don't forget it will be a heat monster. Combine it with your Q6600 and I don't think you'll need a heater in your room....

Back