• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Team Event - Need ideas!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baditude_df

Northern Senior
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm anxious to get a full blown team event off the ground!!! I thinks it's gonna kick ***!

It's tentatively slated for Mid November. Is everyone going to be good to go by that time? I figure it's far enough away from Christmas and other team events that we should be good.
As I had mentioned in the last front page article, I'm looking to enlist some support in our push towards 20th place and to steam roll our current nemesis Team China! That, and get everyone in on the chance to win some kick *** prizes.

I've taken the liberty of drawing out the plan for the event itself, but if anyone has ideas, speak up!

Also, if anyone has ideas for prizes, or has anything to donate, speak up here or fire me a PM.

TTFN. :)

Nice! That's what we want to hear!

So anyways, I guess I'll start. I was thinking of what we could put up for grabs. I'd kinda like to keep it somewhat related to Folding/crunching. That is, Boards, CPU's RAM, GPUs and other stuff that could help people put folding rigs together. I was thinking about donating some of my brand new PSU's, New/lightly used High end CPU coolers(TRUE/Megahalem), Boards and such. I've also got a good line on some brand new gear like RAM and GFX cards. It might cost a little cash though.
I was also thinking about asking Navig if he would have the time b4 the end of the year to build a bench for someone. That's the best way to build a folding rig IMO. hehe :)
Stuff like that.
So what we need it ideas. What would be the best way to run the contest, and what would you like to see up for grabs (within reason). Please keep in mind, we don't exactly have corporate sponsors. :)

I recently expunged all my valuable hardware on the classies, so I don't have anything really glamorous to donate.

I have a suggestion. Perhaps we could ping someone who's run the T32 folding contests for pointers on running one of these, so we avoid any pitfalls since prizes are involved, etc.

Already have, a while back.

The contest itself is going to be rather simple. Basic idea is points based. Take the participants total at noon of the starting date, and noon on the end date. 50,000Pts gets you one entry into the draw. The more you fold the better your chances, yet everyone's got a good chance.

I just need to find a good way to make the draw. Anyone know of any good randomizing programs? lol. Actually, I'm still waiting to hear back about how that's been done.

The way the prizes work will depend on how the contest works. (Eg: Obviously a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prize structure doesn't really work with a random draw structure). I want everyone to be eligable to take something home, yet give better chances to those that crunch more for us.
Thoughts?

November is fast approaching. Does anyone have input? Particularly how the prizes should work, given that it will be a random draw?
I mean obviously it would be ideal if every winner came away with the part they needed, and maybe we can work that in by working in a trading clause after winning but b4 shipping, but I think it's going to have to be first drawn, first served yes? With the idea being that, those who crunch more, have more of a chance at being drawn.
Anyhow, I'm open to ideas until ~ Nov 1st, then I'm going to have to start the preparations and announcements etc.

So far for prizes I have:

1. A lightly used, mint condition TRUE Black with full mounting gear for 775 and 1366 and full retail packaging.
2. A soon to arrive Megahalems in the same condition with same mounting gear and retail packaging. Available after I do my comparison with the cooler above.
3. A near mint Swiftech Appogee GTZ in full retail package.
4. A Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 775/DDR3 board with full retail package including accessories. Excellent condition with lots of life and Instant Product Replacement warantee left.
5. A very nice Navig benching/test station.

All of these things can be donated to the event if need be.
All used, but all in near mint condition and still in demand and of fairly high value if I were to put them up in the classifieds. I think stuff like this would be enough to entice people to come over and give us a hand, no?
I was hoping to have ~10 prizes up for grabs, but that might turn out to be too much to hope for.

Or we can just call the whole thing off. But I was rather looking forward to it. I'm not sure about anyone else.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We're going to need a name too! I was thinking something like "Mid-November Meyhem", or something like that.

Last edited:
what about "November Rose Bowl Madness!", "November Rosie Power Push!", "November Rose Mad Dash!"?

i would order the prizes say based on price and split to 1st/2nd. though if the members agree to the trading of prizes, after the winners of the prizes have been announced. i think how FAH team does it is a good idea as well.. any other thoughts?

lol, i was really hoping you would go for the last one... though the second one works for me as well... i was tring to play off of November and rose/rosie..

next time let me finish my edits,LOL :p

*edit*
for me the second one seems to play off of no prizes... where as IMO the thrid or first one from the titles gives something that prizes would happen. up to yall just trying to give more name ideas... :)

interesting. November Rosie Mad Dash works. I like that one too. Anyone else?

I just need to find a good way to make the draw. Anyone know of any good randomizing programs? lol. Actually, I'm still waiting to hear back about how that's been done.
Harlam357 has one for the folding contests, if you Pm him I am sure it could be used here.

Thanks alot fonda. I can't remember if it was him or Ozzlo I PM'd about that a while back. They were quite helpful, but that was the one question that wasn't answered. I'll get ahold of them again and we'll get er together soon.

Ok, I just PM'd Harlam and ozzlo. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

Any more ideas for Event name, or donations for prizes?

Muddoktor has donated a kickass waterblock, and I've got schwack of great cooling and benching gear here that I'll be giving away. Might need a bit of help with the shipping costs though.
Speak your mind!

PS: Awsome job on the RAC lately you guys!

Okay. I've got the announcement made and the contest rules drawn up.

B4 I ask for the announcement to be posted, I need a few things:

First would be a name. We've got a few submissions and there's some good ones. If anyone else has ideas, post them up by tomorrow afternoon.

Second, I bought a 1000 entry credit at random.org, to take our results, randomize them and make a draw of 10 contestants (or an amount of contestants equal to the final number of prizes).

I have been thinking about the structure of the contest and most importantly how the entries are done and I came up with something like this:

1. Each participant must post in the Sign Up Thread (yet to be posted) b4 entering in the contest. That way we will know for sure who needs to get put on the participants list.
2. The contest will be points based, with a certain amount of points netting the contestant one entry. For this, I have been thinking about a RAC based handicap system, whereby there will still be a better chance of winning for those who crunch more points, but prevent too many entries by any one participant. Just so nobody walks away with it.

Something like this:
<1000RAC = 3000pts/entry
1000-3000RAC = 5000pts/entry
3000-5000RAC = 7500pts/entry
5000-7500RAC = 10000pts/entry
>7500RAC = 12500pts/entry

Whataya think?
I'm asking for opinions because there may be something I didn't account for.

Back