• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 Different Programs, 3 Different CPU Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gwar2288

So, what Program is the most accurate when it comes to monitoring temps?
Speedfan, CoreTemp and RealTemp all return completely different values :bang head

Temps at Idle:
Coretemp:
27-31C

SpeedFan:
15-18C < Clearly Wrong as this is only 1C above Ambient.
GPU@ 40C

Realtemp:
30-35C
GPU@ 40C

So, what one am I supposed to believe? :cry:

I use Coretemp and HWMonitor.. also check the hardware monitor in your BIOS and see what it displays for temps and voltages. One of those programs should be closer to the value from BIOS.

they all read from the same sensors, but you may need to adjust your T junction thingy for it to be most accurate

Some considerations to factor in:
1. What CPU are you running? AMD CPUs with the Brisbane core had broken thermal sensors and gave obviously inaccurate temps, especially at idle.
2. Are you sure you are measuring the same thing with all the programs? Some may be measuring core temp and some CPU temp. They are different. Core temp readings refer to the internal temp of the processor itself wheil CPU temps refer to a reading in the socket area below the CPU. They are usually withing a few degrees of one another, however.
3. Speedfan's labels are often wrong. That is to say it often incorrectly identifies the various sensors in the system. If you open up the program, run Prime95, and watch the deltas you can easily identify which temp readings go with the cores/CPU as opposed to say, chipset sensors or other environmental sensors on the motherbaord. The core/CPU readings will rise very quicly compared to the others and the core temp readings will usually be a little higher than CPU temp readings when max is achieved. Speedfan is a wonderul, very useful program. It just needs a little tweeking. The labels can be edited, by the way, to match sensor names with their correct temps. Keep in mind also that currently, Speedfan only gives one core temp reading even when you have a multi core processor. I think it either takes the reading from the hottest core or averages them.

Last edited:
Yeah, my BIOS temps are closest to CoreTemp it seems.

I am running a new i5 so just want to make sure I don't cook it

Thanks all for your help :santa:

Back