• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd laptop problem- ati drivers will not install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aeiou

I have a somewhat older Gateway 7210GX laptop with a dead battery that was given too me and I want to use it as a media center hooked up to my tv with boxee running. Specs are m-XP3000+ radeon mobility9600 512MB ram running XP.

The problem I'm having is I cant get the ati drivers to install. Both the drivers from gateway and directly from ati say that the hardware is not detected and will not go any further. I did get the Omega drivers to install and they seem to work fine, but now the problem is when I try to start boxee it says that the wrong opengl driver is in use. I checked the version and evidently its only running at opengl 1.1 for some reason. any ideas how I can get it updated? I know boxee requires at least 1.4.

I don't remember if the Mobility Radeon 9K series even supported OpenGL 1.4. If it does, you should try grabbing an old driver from before they dropped support for pre-2000 series cards and use Mobility Modder.NET on the install package. See if that helps.

Back