• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Professional Full Version $30

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Has anyone here obtained their copy from this direct through Microsoft deal yet? Or did everyone who got in on this opt for the retail box copy?

Pre-ordered the uk student edition a couple of days ago, got my email today with the link to download.downloaded it, it downloads 3 files, an exe and 2 box files. you run the exe and the 2 box files are extracted into another folder, which contains what appears to be a full directory (includes the boot folder with the com, so i think it's bootable). All you have to do is to either run setup from the folder, or create a bootable iso from the folder and burn it to a disc.

Now I KNOW MS was lying to me yesterday about not taking debit cards, b/c guess what I saw in my checking account today?

A $1 charge on my debit card from Microsoft Store, that's bull**** :mad:

From my understanding, debit cards are just like credit cards. You don't have to really tell them it's debit... at least I think.

I use my business debit card online ALL THE TIME as a mastercard credit card.

Most are. Its just how its handled at 'checkout' is the difference. Like I said, I gave my debit card (as CC) and it went through fine.

I use debit online all the time as well. I use it as a credit card all time time to avoid debit fees. At first I didn't tell them it was debit, then they asked so I said yeah it's debit. Then they said "we don't take debit" and charge me one dollar on that SAME debit card that they "don't accept"...

I tried calling again today during lunch, but I was on hold for an hour (never even spoke to an employee). Just had the phone on speaker while I ate.

The wait on the phone is rather long right now. Any website for the full version at this price?

From my understanding, debit cards are just like credit cards. You don't have to really tell them it's debit... at least I think.

I use my business debit card online ALL THE TIME as a mastercard credit card.

Naw they can tell by the number. Yes you can use a debit as credit, but some places... like a hotel they can tell by the number and wont accept debit cards even over the phone.

This is starting to look more like BS to me. Maybe since this started they've gotten stupid with the check outs. They're telling my my email is invalid then transferred me to a CSR that has an invalid phone number. :bang head

Now I got to wait all over again to speak with someone.

Since they screwed up my phone order I went to the online site and this is what I found.

Installing and reinstalling Windows

In this article you will find instructions for:

•Upgrading to Windows 7. Choose Upgrade to keep your files, settings, and programs from your current version of Windows, and if your current version of Windows can be upgraded. If your version of Windows can't be upgraded, you need to choose Custom.

•Installing a custom version of Windows. Choose Custom to completely replace your current operating system, or to install Windows on a specific drive or partition that you select. You can also use Custom if your computer doesn't have an operating system, or if you want to set up a multiboot system on your computer. For more information about setting up a multiboot system, see Install more than one operating system (multiboot).

•Reinstalling Windows 7. Choose this option if you want to restore default Windows settings or if you are having trouble with Windows and need to reinstall it by performing a custom installation.

During the installation process, you need:

•The Windows installation disc or the Windows installation file if you purchased and downloaded Windows 7 online. Purchasing and downloading Windows 7 online is an easy way to install Windows 7 on a netbook or other PC that doesn't have a DVD drive. For more information, go online to the Microsoft Store.

•If you are a student, you might be eligible to buy Windows 7 at a discount. For more information, go to the 741 webpage, and then click BUY.

•An external DVD drive if you want to use a Windows 7 installation disc to install Windows 7 on a netbook or other PC that doesn't have a DVD drive.

•Your product key. You can find your product key on your computer or on the installation disc holder inside the Windows package—or in a confirmation e‑mail if you purchased and downloaded Windows 7 online. A product key sticker looks similar to this:

PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Go to the Microsoft website to see examples of product key stickers.

•Your computer name, if your computer is currently connected to a network.

You also need to decide whether to install a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7. For help deciding, see 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions.

So basically you can do a full install with the upgrade version. You have to chose custom install. Just ordered mine.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows

Last edited:
i wonder if theres any way to get the full version with out a .edu address over the phone.
i'm enrolled in school but the school does not provide a .edu e-mail address.

i know theres a way on the 741 website but if i could get an upgrade through 741 AND a full version for both my laptop and my desktop, both i use for school, life would be grand

As EarthDog stated out yes you can. You are just going to have to talk to people higher up the ladder so to speak than the regular rep. I do not know if they are actually going to verify it or not but for sure will get extra information from you :)

Also HousERat- In order to do the "clean/full install" you do still need to have an existing Windows OS on it... which if you reinstall an OS alot... can become quite the hastle :)

Last edited:
Just got mine... $30 total..

Waited 1hr 30min on hold..

So apparently they changed it to were you only can download it now through the .edu, cause when I called they couldn't offer the DVD shipped, but the download allows you to make an ISO and a .exe

Has anybody received the DVD yet? I just got my shipment confirmation email today after ordering on Wednesday, but no tracking number.

Back