• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Meltdown?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

When I finished tinkering with the heatsink for my CPU and turned on my computer it was hanging at the IDE check during BIOS load. I fiddled with it and determined it was my slave drive causing an issue. I take out the drive and find this:

The plastic case is bubbled from what I guess was extreme heat. I threw the drive in the freezer and hooked it up. It has been running since. Luckily that drive was my designated storage drive so I immediately backed up my important files. The drive is still running...but I'm assuming it's time for a new drive.

I'm looking at buying a paid of 640gb SATAII drives and running them in raid. I'm on a tight budget but am looking to upgrade my slow and obviously aging IDE drives.

Ahhh the good ole freezer trick saves the day again !

sounds like a good plan Striker WD Blacks ;)

That? I swear I've seen that on my HDD's as well and they run like a charm.

I thought it was gook or some sort of dirt at first. But when I tried scraping it off, I realized it was cooked plastic. The drive is running fine still and the SMART values aren't bad:

This is the Western Digital that looks as pictured above.

This is the Seagate I'm running as my primary.

Back