Thread: My Q8200

Question My Q8200

I'm absolutely green to OCing so I'm looking for some guidance. I have a friend who OCs so I'm trying to get into it myself without having to call him every time. Everything seems so esoteric to me but anyway. I'm trying to over clock my cpu and ram. I've heard my cpu sucks for OCing and the speed on my ram says 1066mhz but it only goes to 800mhz. So if anyone can provide any help I'd be most grateful. Below is some information about my system. If you need anymore info. I can provide what I've got from my Everest Report. Thanks

CPU Q8200 CORE 2 QUAD 2.33Ghz
    MB ASUS P5QL/EPU
    Video Card NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800GT
    Ram 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR10662G

Hi. You might have to set your RAM manually in the bios (including voltage). Check out this thread for more info on oc'ing the Q8200: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=586754
    - How to pad-mod/VID-mod your cpu

Currently waiting for lga2011 to upgrade to new system

CPU: Intel E8500
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
    RAM: 4gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 w/ RAM cooling fan
    Cooling: CPU/GPU/NB = Water Cooled
    Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 260 core 216 (@ 771/1566/1298)
    PSU: Corsair tx 650w

Thanks I heard the first thing one of the guys said is that you needed a new PSU. So that'll probably be the first thing I'll need since I only have a 500w Raidmax. What do you think? What wattage would you suggest?
    Last edited by arznmacz; 10-21-09 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Add another question

You're probably cutting it pretty close with the psu. I don't know much about them but you can use this to get a general idea of what you need: http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html ... in my opinion more is always better. I'd go for a single powerful +12v rail over multiple weaker 12v rails but thats a matter of opinion. Black friday is comming up, you could probably pick up a good psu for cheap then. The 420w psu that came with my Raidmax case only had 1 +12v rail with only 13 amps ... so I'd lean towards saying they're pretty weak.
    - How to pad-mod/VID-mod your cpu

Currently waiting for lga2011 to upgrade to new system

CPU: Intel E8500
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
    RAM: 4gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 w/ RAM cooling fan
    Cooling: CPU/GPU/NB = Water Cooled
    Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 260 core 216 (@ 771/1566/1298)
    PSU: Corsair tx 650w