• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 Can I use 1 dvd with both my serials?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jabroni1m

Ok so I did the student deal for me and my wife and I downloaded my version and burnt it to dvd. Now my question is do I have to wait another 6 hours on her download or can I use my dvd with the serial key she got with hers? I own both copies and just want to avoid the long download if possible.

I've heard that it's possible, yes. Similar to using other language's keys with the English version. Never tried it, so can't promise anything, but it should work.

The Windows 7 DVD contains all versions of Windows 7. The key simply unlocks what version is installed.

One DVD can be used across 100's of computer as long as each has unique serial number. Serial number is a separate feature not hard coded into the install CD.

On some DVDs, file ei.cfg controls which version of Windows 7 is automatically installed.
It is located inside the /sources/ folder.

If you remove this file, you will be prompted which version of Windows 7 you wish to install.

Or you can edit this file in Notepad and set which version of Windows you want installed automatically. Simply change the word 'Ultimate' to any other version you would like to install automatically:

* Ultimate
* Professional
* HomePremium
* HomeBasic
* Starter

...but the key only works for the version you bought. You can't install Ultimate with a Home Premium key by editing that file. (Right?)

Yes, the key only works for the version you bought.

The edit just allows you to use one disc to install different versions on different machines, each version needing its own key.

Thank you all for the replies. I figured thats how it would be as all the previous windows versions were like that but just wanted to make sure before I wiped her hard drive to install windows 7 professional. Will do it today.

Probably. It's still copyrighted material, even with no key or explanation of how to make it active. I'd err on the side of caution definitely not host a Windows image.

Probably. It's still copyrighted material

The answer isn't so much probably and more so: undoubtedly yes it is illegal to host the disk for download. The media says right on it do not distribute. In the license agreements etc. it says the same. And the legal reason is as you mentioned; it's copyrighted material.

Unless of course you are talking about hosting for download only to yourself. Like in a corporate setting for example you can host an iso on your internal network so you can access it anywhere internally. You have certain personal fair use reasons to copy and host the disk, but I'm assuming host to download was implying download to 3rd parties.

Note I only said "Probably" because I don't know the laws in CA, nor did I actually review the agreement(s). Should have said "almost certainly" instead of probably. Sorry about that.

yeah i figured .. but was hoping .. well praying for a no .. my next question would have been who can host it so i can download it .. lol

but since its illegal ill go smash my head against the wall :bang head

I wonder why MS doesn't host it themselves for those that have lost their CD, but still have the key. It may condone piracy somewhat, but face it, I know of a million places to download Windows now or borrow someone else's media anyway. I've been the opposite situation unfortunately...have the CD and lost the key. :(

I wonder why MS doesn't host it themselves for those that have lost their CD, but still have the key. It may condone piracy somewhat, but face it, I know of a million places to download Windows now or borrow someone else's media anyway. I've been the opposite situation unfortunately...have the CD and lost the key. :(

That's how I see it also. A few times I've tried to fix someones computer, and I don't have the CDs. I have a fairly large portfolio, as I've saved every oem disc I ever got, as well as scavenged some from the trash, but I've still had to use "other sources" on occasion to get the computer running. Even a pay for service with a modest fee to cover bandwidth would be preferential to what we have now. It's not like Windows isos are in short supply; it's really the key that matters.

Because they want you to pay for a new disk, sure they got tons of cash, but imgine how many people would want to be downloading the ISO right from their site, i think it would add up as you would have plenty of people scratching or losing their disks saying, ohwell!, go download another one!

i think a pay for would work, but then get a technet account and your set :)

for me i keep ISO's of any windows i get my hands on, on my work and home computer so i never have to worrry about a disk being messe dup.

i think a pay for would work, but then get a technet account and your set :)

Technet isn't quite as modest as I was thinking :^P I was thinking something along the lines of $1 per download, or perhaps a $10 per year license that allows you to download 10 isos(scalable to however many you need). That should be more than enough to cover their expenses, and make a small amount on top of it.

Back