• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happened to the BTX form factor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It fizzled out. It was something Intel wanted to push.

All I know is that most Dell models and some Gateways have this form factor in them, both AMD and Intel CPUs.

It became inconveinent for the pc world, because it caused everything to need to be reversed. I think it fisseled out because other than dell and gateway using it, it had no place among the rest of the pc world.

I don't have any fact to back this up, but open up a dell case, like the E310 or E510 and see what I mean

From what I read, it seemed promising in term of improved airflow and other features. It looked like a good idea back then. But today with components operating at even higher clock, BTX is actually a hindrance.

For example in BTX form factor it appeared to have RAM perpendicular to the backplates and offset from the CPU. With high frequency design, data from the further parts of the RAM would take just a little too long to reach the CPU and you'd end up with half a RAM data a clock later.

Faster speed pretty much made BTX obsolete before it had a chance.

Attachments

• 11BTX.gif
    11BTX.gif
    18.4 KB · Views: 2,748
Back