• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supply recommendation - augent!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camcafe

Registered
Hello,

I am about to buy a power supply and need to make sure it has enough power to do what I intend to achieve. Please let me know your recommendation or thought. Thanks

Will a 700W PS enough to overclock my 2.4GHZ Q6600 to 3.4GHZ with ATI 4850 graphic card, 4gb DDR3 10333 memory on GA-EP45T-DS3R Motherboard?

I am looking at buying this OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply.

Which PS should I get?

$43 - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

or

$74 - Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V 2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power

Want to achieve the following overclocking:
Q6600 to 3.4GHZ with ATI 4850 graphic card, 4gb DDR3 10333 memory on GA-EP45T-DS3R Motherboard and looking to crossfire another 4850 in the future.

Thanks

For that setup Corsair HX450 is enough.
But if you feel uncomfortable with 450W you can take a look at Corsair VX550/HX520, Antec TP New 550, Enermax Pro/Modu82+ 525 for example.

Hello,

I am about to buy a power supply and need to make sure it has enough power to do what I intend to achieve. Please let me know your recommendation or thought. Thanks

Will a 700W PS enough to overclock my 2.4GHZ Q6600 to 3.4GHZ with ATI 4850 graphic card, 4gb DDR3 10333 memory on GA-EP45T-DS3R Motherboard?

I am looking at buying this OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply.
so 'augent' you didn't have enough time to check the title? :santa:
:beer:
nah, 700w is way more than you'll need, like burebista said.
you'd be fine with a good quality 500w. Corsair and Antec are my pics :thup:

you can check this thread out, under the 500-600w section:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=589708

that much wattage isn't required to power your system.
700-800w is pretty much for high end crossfire/sli systems.
you could save some money and look at a 500-600w PSU
the Corsair HX-620 is pretty well priced, and performs well.

I've run the 3.6ghz Q6600 setup in my sig with a Corsair HX520 and even an Antec Earthwatts 430w with no problems at all.

So long as you do not plan to run Crossfire with that card, the Corsair 400CX (not HX450 unless thats a new model) would be fine really with 30A on 12v rail.

I would stick with something from Corsair, Silverstone, Antec, PCPnC, good name brands like that will let you be just fine with 30A 12v.

Semantics...thats a new model. :bang head :beer:

Not to mention, it doesnt appear to be out yet. At least it isnt at Zipzoomfly, Newegg, or Tigerdirect or Froogle at the moment. Its out overseas (maybe) and appears to cost more than the 520HX. Not a good buy if thats true.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16408

Is this thing even available in the USA? That hexus article was in 2008, and I dont see it here anywhere.

Last edited:
Let me tell you something: it was out for a while but unfortunately now is almost EOL because it was targeted for European market and it doesn't have great success because peoples don't care about quality but about more watts. :(
From here:
Redbeard said:
HX450 sales never really got off the ground.
Readme.

I think either one of those gives you room to grow but I have no idea of how good they are quality wise or at producing the power they are rated at. I do know that I love the 500w FSP bluestream line of power supplies and I'd like to know how it compares to the ones you've listed because I'm thinking of upgrading for the future plus I can use an extra power supply for my extra system that I play around with.

Neither.

Corsair 650HX or TX would do the crossfire easily and is a better PSU all around than the ones listed I believe.

+1 to what EarthDog said. Actually, the Corsair 750TX is the same price right now as the 650TX after rebate ($99.99). I'd jump on that deal in a heartbeat. The HX series are modular if that floats your boat, but they bring a sizeable premium for it.

Out of curiosity, why did you start a new thread instead of continuing with this one? Perhaps a nice mod or admin will be kind enough to merge the two.

camcafe, please start only one thread on the same subject in the future. I have merged the 2 threads together this time. Don't make us have to delete the extra threads in the future.

Thanks,
muddocktor
Forum Staff

Back