• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Megahalems vs TRUE: Stock Comparison on Overclocked i7 Platform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very nice wish I had seen this before :) My Megahalem just arrived today :)

The seller had said it came with a Fan but opened the box to find no fan so any recomendations on the 120mm fans thata re needed for a push pull setup ?

Just a good ol YateLoon Medium will do just fine. That's what I usually recommend since they're inexpensive, fairly quiet and they put out decent pressure and airflow. Plus they will work with the 25mm fan clips that came with the mega.

Thanks baditude_df trying to track down some one that sells it in the mid west :) dam I live in the red neck belt and there is not a PC store around here. I am use to having 20 PC stores with in 10min of driving :p

You might have to order those online. Petra's is out of stock right now, but Jabtech has them.

There are plenty of good 25mm fans out there. Scythe S-Flex are good, so are the Gentle Typhoon's. Minebea NMB is a good 25mm fan as well.
It's just that bearing fans tend to be significantly more expensive is all. But at the end of the day, if they're going to perform well and last a long time, they're worth the money regardless.
Don't forget you can also get high speed fans and put them on a contoller when you want to cut down on noise. Or, you can grab some 38mm fans. Personally, I only go with 38mm fans nowadays. I like the greater pressure generation and there are a few models that scale very well on a controller. Panaflo high and ultra high speeds are good, as well as the Sanyo Denki. Of course, you would have to grab the optional 38mm fan clips for the mega as well.

Check out this link if you haven't already: http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=171661

Excellent thread. Thank you.

I asked you a question in the other thread and I wanted to follow up with a somewhat unrelated one, which is regarding the lower priced heatsinks.

Which ones are the affordable champs now and what would be your educated guess as to their performance on my system, in other words if a TRUE can get me 4 GHz, what can they do, ballbark-wise?

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 TOP Radeon HD 4850 512MB @ 680 MHz GPU & 2100 MHz Memory
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Excellent thread. Thank you.

I asked you a question in the other thread and I wanted to follow up with a somewhat unrelated one, which is regarding the lower priced heatsinks.

Which ones are the affordable champs now and what would be your educated guess as to their performance on my system, in other words if a TRUE can get me 4 GHz, what can they do, ballbark-wise?

I cannot speak too much towards lower priced heatsinks because I have not tried many for myself.
I have heard that the COGAGE TRUE does quite well, and it very reasonably priced.

P.S. Please submit this for publishing on the front page so more people can see this.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=621838

Formatted and Submitted it a few weeks ago. No one seems to have done anything with it yet though. Dunno if they ever will.

What is the best method of applying thermal past to the Venomous X. On the megahalems I used the line method cause it gave me the lowest temps. Is the dot in the middle best for the Venomous X or should I reseat the heatsink using the line method? My processor is a I7-860.

Last edited:
I've never heard of these instructions being wrong, are they?

http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html

I dont think they are wrong by any means. Badattitude states earlier in this topic that he felt the dot in the center method works best for the TRUE. So I am wondering if it also would work best for the Venomous X as its the next evolution of the TRUE. The line method you mentioned seemed to work best for my Megahalems but I am trying to find out if the DOT method is better for the Venomous X

Last edited:
I have asked experienced members before and never really got a straight answer on if/why methods outlined in the link above are inferior to any other method and more importantly if tests were done to prove so on repeated bases and multiple setups.

I looked into this when I got my TRUE and decided to stick with instructions as outlined by Arctic Silver. If anyone knows any different please post proof here.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 TOP Radeon HD 4850 512MB @ 680 MHz GPU & 2100 MHz Memory
OCZ Agility 60GB SSD
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

If the screw down on the Revision C. is like the Venomous X screw down. I will let you in on my little secret for more tension. Just drop a couple of 3-4mm washers in the hole. Enough to take up 1-2mm slack. Then reinstall and tighten. This way you won't bottom out the turning screw. Keep in mind only to tighten till the VX/True no longer can be twisted.

Back