• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desperately need some headphone advice .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

You're on the right track but wrong thought process. Lets say you have a constant 5v, and two sets of head phones one with 38 ohms and one with 50 ohms. Using ohms law, I= v/r, you get 131 mA for the 38 ohm pair; and 100 mA for the 50 ohm pair.

What this means is the 38 ohms pair will have a higher amperage to drive the speaker in the headphone at 131 mA, and the 50 ohm pair will have less amperage to drive the speaker letting only 100 mA through.

Therefore the lower ohms pair will produce a louder sound with the same amount of power.

Reference this website:
http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/headphones.html
"Impedance: One issue that's especially important when choosing a pair of headphones is impedance. So called low impedance and high impedance pairs should not be intermixed.

Low impedance headsets may vary from 75 ohms up to about 150 ohms. Phones in this impedance range may be directly plugged into the headphone jack routinely found on recording and playback equipment.

Higher impedances sets normally have an impedance of around 600 ohms; these are more useful in studio installations where many units may be wired in parallel for studio monitoring applications.

The 600-ohm models are more rugged than low impedance ones in that the higher resistance coils are less susceptible to burn out than low impedance models. On the other hand, high impedance sets require a higher driving signal to produce the same level of sound output in comparison to low impedance headsets.

This means that low impedance headphones will sound louder when plugged in devices with low output voltages such as portable CD players, etc. In reality, because of the limited power available from portable players, headsets for portable use should have a maximum impedance of 64 ohms.

Worth keeping in mind here that the lower the impedance, the more efficient headphones are in converting the incoming electrical energy into sound. On the contrary, the higher the impedance, the more electrical energy is required to drive the headsets tiny speakers."

Youd be suprised Charlie. Listening to music in true surround headphones, with 4 speakers in each cone. You can tell the difference in 1 second,, how much better it is then stereo headphones. Also it has its own dedicated amp. That is crucial , with a nice knob.

You have other choices Im just showing you specs of some competition.. gl

You mean 4 drivers in each speaker right? A headphone is by nature STEREO (2 speakers strapped to your head). A speaker may have multiple drivers to split up the various frequencies, but there is no such thing as a "surround" headphone.

Charlie,
I personally prefer the AD700. However sound is quite subjective. Can however, tell you that a low impedance and high sensitivity can such as the AD700 will be quite easy to drive.

i have had the AD700's now for about 3 weeks...and they are really superior...at the price point it is like stealing.

i've been using jvc's HA-RX900's for about 6 months now and i love em. Although when i first started using them, the headphones would literally vibrate when the bass was pounding. I found a solution here at the head-fi.org forums. Since competing the mod, they are fantastic. Very balanced sound stage since modified, very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time while gaming or listening to music. Lastly, the only dislike i have with them is that a amp is almost needed being quiet when used with a ipod or any mp3 player of the sort whereas when used with my sound card (auzen forte x-fi), i cant use them with the volume higher than 25% without my eardrums rupturing.

Back