• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When does the SSD slow down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dhc0329

Registered
I am sorry about another newbie question but does the disk degradation has anything to do with the total usage of disk? ie., 85% and above filled, etc.
or the degradation will come regardless of how much free space you have?

I want to know how my disk will become degraded especially when we have no intelligent way to verify if the TRIM (in Win7) is actually working or not.

DHC,

The only way to see whats happening with your ssd is have a baseline to compare againist over time In Win 7 you need to make sure Trim is enable, and it will be if Win 7 identifies your SSD. Heres the command to verfiy trim is on in win7.

Go to the Command prompt and type > fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

Also you need to make sure your firmware on you SSD is current and your SDD manufactur has trim supported in its firmware.

Once you have verfied these items run a ultility such as Crystal or HDtune and save the results as a performance baseline. Here is my baseline of my AgilityEX with Win7 installed. Mine is only a few days old now. But periodically I will run the tests to see how Trim is doing and if drive performance has degraded.

Attachments

• agilityex.jpg
    agilityex.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,002
Last edited:
Dang, I should have purchased Agility EX instead of Vertex..this is what I got right after I invoked the TRIM by deleting 16GB file.

1zfm0jc.jpg

This one I just ran today..

2eg5ljc.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back