• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI NF980-G65 mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TerranBrackiatt

found here: http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&cat3_no=&prod_no=1884

the RAM voltage listed is 1.5v, with speeds up to 1333 (2133 OC), but its not listed anywhere if the voltage can be raised over 1.5v

i was wondering if anyone has any info on this, as i was looking to get this mobo along with a corsair 4x2g 1600 (1.65v) RAM pack. (reviewers on the 1333 speed corsair RAM said the 1333 RAM didn't even work on any mobo) (i can't seem to find any reviews on this board yet, as its so new i guess.)

i suppose i shall look to the RAM forums to see about if higher volt ram can be undervolted for a slightly lower speed

well, now that i jumped in with both feet. the mobo is delicious, as its the only ddr3, am3, SLI board out there as of yet. i was worried for nothing, as even in auto configs, defaulted to 1.65v for the RAM. however, to go faster than 1333, even with 1600 RAM, gotta tweak the bios. no biggie.

unfortunately, the dominator's heatsinks are just tall enough that a duorb won't fit over them :/ so for now i'm just using the default CPU cooler til i can make up my mind on somethin a little prettier.

EDIT: this is my first build since deep thought went live 4+ years ago... and in case you're wondering, YES, my socket A system WAS named Marvin :)

I used 8Gb of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Stable at stock 1.50v at ether 1333 7-7-7-24 T2 or 1600 9-9-9-24 T2. Memtest reports 1333 as 4070 MB/s and 1600 as 4190MB/s but expermenting with CL didn't change those numbers. W7 rates both speeds as 7.5 I was told in the G.skill forum it might be possible to improve the timing but I think that might need some voltage tweaks.

Hello All, this is my first post on this forum.

I just built my third computer but it has been 4 years since the last build. I got a good bundle deal on newegg for this MOBO but its really confusing me. :bang head

MSI seems to use language and setting I've never heard or seen before (yes, I'm only an amateur). I have a AMD 955 BE chip with a Cooler Master V8. I can't seem to get the BIOS setting right to be stable. I'm not looking for an extreme OC but I want to be at 3.5-3.8ghz stable.

Also I'm have a lot of trouble finding/getting the settings right for my RAM. I've got 2x2gb sticks of DDR3 1600 ram (GSkill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ). I can't get this stable at 1600. Again, part of the problem is the language that MSI uses. I'm not seeing the typical menu for tCL, tRCD, tRP, etc.

Can anyone help? Maybe provide me with a cheat of screen shots? :bang head

One other question that I have seen mixed thoughts on. Should I turn off AMD Cool n' Quiet? Its on right now and at idle CPU-Z reports my clock speed at 2.0-2.3ghz! Could this be why it is so low for a 3.2ghz chip?

As another bit of input, I have the NF980-G65, a PII 955BE & 4GB G.Skill Trident F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD DDR3. I have the DDR3 voltage set to 1.65, per the XMP-2000 spec noted in CPU-Z, and the timings are also per that spec (9-9-9-28-34-1T). With those settings and stock vcore, I have the CPU overclocked to 3.6GHz. I can run Prime95 for 12+ hours without a hitch. But if I bump the multiplier up another 0.5, I get a BSOD almost immediately after starting P95. I'm pretty sure it is the DDR3 and dropping the RAM ratio doesn't make a difference. I have read the voltage can go as high as 1.9, but I didn't see any improvement from doing so.

One other question that I have seen mixed thoughts on. Should I turn off AMD Cool n' Quiet? Its on right now and at idle CPU-Z reports my clock speed at 2.0-2.3ghz! Could this be why it is so low for a 3.2ghz chip?

if yer gonna overclock, yes, turn it off...

what the cool'n'quiet does is this... during idle, lowers the multiplier and voltage to save power, or underclocking, once it goes full boar, it'll jump back up. (mine is sitting at 800Mhz (200x4) @1.02V at the moment, idling on firefox. )

i've been out of the OC business for so long, i've got a lot of reading to do before i start messing around with "Earth's" BIOS. beside, i gotta let the grease settle a little after replacing the stock HS with a Zalman 9900. just debating if i'll get better airflow with or without the dominator fans.

EDIT: maybe i should check dates before replying to old posts? lol

Back