• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Force Format a HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi,
i have windows 7 running on my raid-0 (3x30gb vertex) and I bought a 1 tb drive for storage. I have a 500 gb drive that i think once had an os on it and i want to format it it, however windows wont allow me to wipe it clean.

How can i force format the 500 gb drive?

take it out and put it into another pc ? right click / format ?

or burn a boot cd "google", and format x: <enter> ?

Does win7 have the admin tools under the control panel? If so, you should be able to format the drive by using admin tools and looking for the storage device manager. All your drives should be listed and you can just right click on the drive and select format. It'll then bring up the window to do a quick format, or take the long route (probably a couple of hours). I usually just slap mine in an external enclosure and format it from there..

Easiest way Win7 delete the partition. Forget the format just delete the partition itself and then create a new one and format if need be.

Hi,
i have windows 7 running on my raid-0 (3x30gb vertex) and I bought a 1 tb drive for storage. I have a 500 gb drive that i think once had an os on it and i want to format it it, however windows wont allow me to wipe it clean.

How can i force format the 500 gb drive?

Try to format it from this instances :
- Safe mode
- Recovery console
- Bootable setup disk

If none of this is owkring you should try a force format software and see if is working.Also you should backup all your important data before starting , a software that you can use for free is http://www.dmailer.com/dmailer-backup.html .

Deathman said it. Right click computer > Manage > Storage> Disk > Then just right click the partition in question and click delete. Then reformat when you use it later.

Back