• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CHKDSK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightelph

Every time I boot my machine, CHKDSK wants to run. Whether or not I let it it comes back the next boot. This has been happening for two days. Just now when I booted, every windows animation moved in slow motion. A reboot fixed it. nVidia 91.07 drivers, WD velociraptor drive, not that old.

Ideas?

Every time I boot my machine, CHKDSK wants to run. Whether or not I let it it comes back the next boot. This has been happening for two days. Just now when I booted, every windows animation moved in slow motion. A reboot fixed it. nVidia 91.07 drivers, WD velociraptor drive, not that old.

Ideas?

Elph,

Try running the WD Diags program for your hard drive to see if there is a HD issue.

Of course once I post this the computer stops doing it. Only change was installing some IE update and creating a system restore point. I'll run the diags.

Hmm, its back again, I ran the extended test and it passes fine. This has me concerned as the problem is back again.

For some reason the OS thinks the disk was not shut down correctly

Start > Run type "regedit" (without quotes), then OK

Navigate/drill down the collapsible tree structure on the left pane until you reach the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession Manager

Locate the "BootExecute" value in the right pane, then double-click it.

and see what's there.

Change it to

autocheck autochk /f *

reboot and see if its gone

I ran chkntfs /x c: from the command prompt which disables chkdsk from running on drive c:

Perhaps not the best way but I can't find a reason why chkdsk wants to run every boot.

I ran chkntfs /x c: from the command prompt which disables chkdsk from running on drive c:

Perhaps not the best way but I can't find a reason why chkdsk wants to run every boot.

Elph,

Do you get any file errors when Chkdsk finishes? A corrupt file?

Both my Win7 systems do the same thing. I've run diags and everything is fine, and checkdisk never finds any problems.

Yup mine does it too... also got Avira... altho it has stopped doing it now... well it never did it this morning!!

I had the same problem with a laptop. Although I removed Avira for MSE and the problem was still there. I did the chkntfs /x c: thing to stop it.

Run a memtest. Your memory might be writing corrupted data to HDD and it catches it after the fact. Also, try using a differente IDE or SATA cable, whichever you HDD uses to hook up to the motherboard.

Back