• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

all of a sudden.. no cd-rom?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plague

I just installed Win 2000 today and everything went fine. I then started installing drivers and all, but when I got to my cd writer software, all downhill. The cd-rom was working fine (obviously, I was installing software for it off of a cd), then it had to restart windows in the middle of the installation. Windows booted back up, then the install asked me for the cd(which was in the drive). I click on OK a bunch of times to no avail. I then open up My Computer, and both my cd writer and dvd drive arent even there! Device manager shows them both, but both have (!) next to them... anyone else ever see this? Its just funny how they both worked until I tried to intall software for the writer....grrr

ya, did that first. the cd-roms were both working just fine until i tried to install hp's software.

I had this happen once, but it came from a virus...i think it was the NYB virus. I used a boot disk to format my hard drive, re-installed windows, and i had no cd drive after finishing the install. I used some antivirus program called "Protector Plus" to remove it. It was a free download somewhere....

Try clicing on your drives to view the properties. What does it say the problem is?

PenguinFreak said:
Try clicing on your drives to view the properties. What does it say the problem is?
It says that windows cant load the drivers for this device (error 31)... for both drives.

plague said:

It says that windows cant load the drivers for this device (error 31)... for both drives.

Have you got the drivers/can you get the drivers?

Are the drives supported in 2k?

ok, i dont think you read my original post, they both worked fine after installing win 2000. It's just that when i tried to install HP's specific drivers for the burner, they both crapped out and are apparently conflicting with each other. And yes, I checked MS's site for compatibility, it says drivers are included on the win 2000 cd for both of them.

i had the same problem!!. What i did was erase the harddrive partition and then created it again and installed win xp and it fixed the problem.

ya, I wound up formatting and reinstalling... oh well, now I have to burn that stupid HP CD:mad:

oi !
b4 you do anything,was it easy cd creator platinum you installed?
if so thats the same thing that happens with xp, i install XP pro and all my drivers ,once i get to the roxio software and reboot, my dvd and burner dont exist anymore and in device manager they have a "!" in there next to em.
if that is the case you gotta do a reg hack removing upper and lower filters of a selected location and this should fix it. if this is the problem then ill post the reg hack to you and hopefully itll be the same in 2k!

Back