• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ssd for a netbook?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've heard good things about the Kingstons, but if it were my money I would stick with something that supports TRIM. I would stick with vertex or OCZ Agility.

I've heard good things about the Kingstons, but if it were my money I would stick with something that supports TRIM. I would stick with vertex or OCZ Agility.

Agreed. But what will he be using the netbook for? I always thought an ssd would be overkill for a netbook.

I put SSD drives in my netbooks and it made a huge difference. I highly recommend it.

well ssd for netbook wouldn't be overkill... i mean consider heat from mechanical drives is higher then SSD's. not only that but no noise when accessing data from the drive as well. all key factors for latop/netbooks..

Agility drive would be my recommendation for a netbook... though keep in mind if the OS doesnt support Trim he will need to use GC if supported by the firmware and drive. vertex and agility support both just load the correct firmware first then install the OS of your choice.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63499

hmm i didnt know that i thought they all used 2.5" drives... i think his netbook is fine since he has a 120gb hdd in it right now but ill make sure tomorrow

If it's 120gb then chances are its a 2.5" drive. Still possible it is a ZIF drive. Let us know what brand the netbook is.

If it's 120gb then chances are its a 2.5" drive. Still possible it is a ZIF drive. Let us know what brand the netbook is.

Agreed, more than likely it has a 2.5" drive in it. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am looking for an SSD for my 900HA. I wanted an OCZ(I am cheap) so I was looking at Kingston too but now I just might get an OCZ. I am a big fan of their products so I might just go that route now.

I have couple of the acer netbooks. They did require a complete rip apart to get the SSD installed lol. But let me tell you a story about my acer netbook. After upgrading to an SSD and one of these batteries, I get over 15 hours of battery life. And they are surprisingly fast for a little netbook. Now if it only had a backlit keyboard.

FYI most netbooks are limited to SATA 1.5Gbits so don't get freaked out if you bench the drive and see strangely low max seq. read/write scores.

But even with the limit, SSDs really make a netbook shine. I had a few in my old 1000H and it really helped alleviate the sluggish experience of working on an Atom powered device. :)

Back