• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chrome os....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2xNEHALEMx2

wow... i just found out its linux based. disappointment for me... i was going to try it! i already tried linux and its a pain if your not used to it. it took me an hour just to install drivers.

Actually sounds pretty cool. My only skepticism is that it's Google. It seems to much like a pure web based OS. Probably great for netbooks though. It will be interesting to see it in action.

wow... i just found out its linux based. disappointment for me... i was going to try it! i already tried linux and its a pain if your not used to it. it took me an hour just to install drivers.

What drivers were you trying to install? How long ago was it?

I don't want to be debbie downer, but what did you expect it to be? If it isn't windows it generally is something based on *nix.

i was trying to install nvidia drivers. i was doing it mid august.

Hmm, I suppose for the un-initiated that might seem difficult because its not like windows. In reality, installing nvidia drivers is very easy, if you google it, perhaps you would have had an easier time.

Sometimes I forget what its like to be new to linux.

For reference for anyone else with the same problem

you need to press ctrl+alt+f1
Then login
type

Code:
 sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
sudo sh Nvidia-192.0.1.sh <or whatever your driver package is called, use tab to auto complete>

once that has finished installing

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

and your done

The linux kernel is one thing.

A distribution is something else.

The Chrome OS distribution will likely be very little like any distribution you have used before.

The linux kernel is one thing.

A distribution is something else.

The Chrome OS distribution will likely be very little like any distribution you have used before.

Well sir, if It's anything like or near as good as the Android 2.0 OS on my new phone then MicroSoft may be soiling themselves when it comes to the home computing market. I mean the mere mention of the G***** word is enough to make Balmer red faced and throw chairs.

That good?

yeah, there is definitely a learning curve but the Android 2.0 OS is unlike anything I thought possible on a phone. Shames the iPhone. Amazing.

The Andoird app manager is comparable to the same thing in Linux but there are no intedependencies to worry about. Everything is customizable and runs silky smooth. It even has a task manager. I'm totally digging it and could see it easily be made to run on a netbook.

oh and on Ballmer: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/05/chair_chucking/

yeah, there is definitely a learning curve but the Android 2.0 OS is unlike anything I thought possible on a phone. Shames the iPhone. Amazing.

The Andoird app manager is comparable to the same thing in Linux but there are no intedependencies to worry about. Everything is customizable and runs silky smooth. It even has a task manager. I'm totally digging it and could see it easily be made to run on a netbook.

oh and on Ballmer: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/05/chair_chucking/

And what's the status of the article your writing about android 2.0 for overclockers.com? :eh?:

Or, if you are using an apt-based distribution, "sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx" will do.

I am familiar with both Linux and Windows, and I find myself spending a lot more time installing drivers for Windows than Linux. Linux has most drivers built-in, and for the ones that aren't (like nvidia), it's usually just a command or 2.

Windows requires you to click through a bunch of dialog boxes to install drivers. May be simpler for the uninitiated, but not nearly as efficient.

Windows requires you to click through a bunch of dialog boxes to install drivers. May be simpler for the uninitiated, but not nearly as efficient.

And you have to figure out where to get it from - find website, choose a version, manual download. With Linux, anything you need to get things running is in the package manager - tell package manager to install, it downloads and installs.

Like you said tho, takes time to get used to that for the uninitiated.

Back