• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOTES Sockets explode as well, not only foxconn

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The point is not how prolific is it, the point is it happens. Would you rather no one ever bring it up? It is naive to think that by not knowing about it it will never be an issue.

I have not seen anyone say, OMG dont get a P55 because they blow up!! Seen lots of posts saying, if you are getting a P55 try and get one with a LOTEs socket.

Also sockets are not hte only thing to blow up on P55 either. Even a build overvolting of 1.4volts was enough to pop a FET on the Biostar P55 just like happened to some people on the AMD boards that were supposedly 140W compatible.

It lets you know... hey, going to OC make sure your FETs are sinked :) (obvious to some not to all) same with the possibility of OCing on P55, you are far more likely to over amp the socket wit h a foxconn built, over a LOTES.

Sorry, why would having that information out there be bad? You think Foxconn is going to go out of business over it? If they went under prices would soar from the vacuum they made ;)

I think you miss'd my point, information is great but when ppl take a few isolated cases and make it seem more than what it is, it is no longer information it is now gosip.
I have been on 3 forums where the X58 fanbois bash P55 for bad sockets and "your system will fry" comments are a plenty. Are they educated about the issue...no they take a quick look at threads, read the first post and look at a few pics, then they go out on there holy crusade and spread the hype.
miss-information is worse than none at all imo......

I think at this point in time the best thing we can do is try to discover out why and how this is happening. Get to the source of the problem.

Once the source is correctly diagnosed the problem can be adressed which in turn benefits endusers.

Pointing fingers and placing blame solves nothing.

I'm with chew, wise words.

Intels Nehalem arch has very high current draw possibilities as soon as you remove the TDP and TDC limiter. Check the specs. Nothing previously on the DT comes close. High current is very strainful on the VRM/socket/connector/pins and requires robust components. It only takes a tiny design or manufacturing error or difference to show up as a major problem later on.

Someone needs to measure the 12v rails at the rough volt+MHz+cooling range this is happening at. Is current getting jacked up unnecessairly by a VR IC or PCU malfunction?

You know these CPUs have built-in PCUs that control and monitor the current being asked per Core.

The bottomline is how many people that buy computers overclock them?

I say about 3% or less overclock. Just my guess. So that would leave 97% not overclocking.

So when all these mobo vendors using Foxconn or Lotes sockets pass Intel's or AMD's test approval before shipping out their products to consumers then I have to believe most mobos will be fine using stock settings and no overclocking.

I'm an everyday user that overclocks and haven't had any issues. I took apart my rig last week and looked at the my pin using a microscope and no burn on the CPU or the sockets.

All of the CPU burn has come from extreme overclockers not your average everyday users.

Find me proof of an everyday user with CPU/socket burn.

The bottomline is how many people that buy computers overclock them?

I say about 3% or less overclock. Just my guess. So that would leave 97% not overclocking.

So when all these mobo vendors using Foxconn or Lotes sockets pass Intel's or AMD's test approval before shipping out their products to consumers then I have to believe most mobos will be fine using stock settings and no overclocking.

I'm an everyday user that overclocks and haven't had any issues. I took apart my rig last week and looked at the my pin using a microscope and no burn on the CPU or the sockets.

All of the CPU burn has come from extreme overclockers not your average everyday users.

Find me proof of an everyday user with CPU/socket burn.

Give it time and I think we will see random cases.

Problems noted when hardcore overclocking will eventually show up over time on the average users platform. A single bench session can somtimes shear a years worth of life off a component depending on how weak the component is ;) That is one way overclockers actually help the hardware industry. How do you thing manufacturers come up with suggested MTBF without actually stressing a part for the amount of time they say the product will last ;)

You don't have to overclock to have problems with improper pin contact. I fought with problems right from the get go with this MSI board. Wouldn't recognize the 4GB of memory in the post or in Windows 7. It would be there in the bios and Windows 7 said it was there, but only half of it useable. CPU-Z even showed it, but everytime it posted I would get 2048MB, Windows 7 said 4GB, 1.99 Useable. Then I someone from the MSI forum suggested checking out the pin contact to the CPU. I know these new processors directly connect to the memory, so it sounded like something to try. Sure enough, there were some pins with 1 contact, some with 2, and alot with none. The socket was made by FoxConn. Still needing a computer, I had to put it back together. When I fired it up this time, it immediately counted up to 4096MB in post and Windows 7 says 4GB and 2.99 useable, much better, but where's the other 1.1? Anyways I must have wiggled it right or something on reassembly, and the right pin made contact *S*. I can't trust this board now, so I've applied for a RMA.

Forgot my Signature

MSI P55 GD65,1.4 Bios, i7-860 with factory fan, G.Skill F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH Ram, PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750EPS12V750W Power Supply with 60 Amps@12V, Seagate Baracuda Sata 1TB and 200GB, LG and Pioneer IDE DVD R/RW, MSI N220GT-MD1G-OC/D3 Graph

Know what's funny about chew's second picture in post #28 (I guess that's the ES i7-860 that's mentioned)? You can clearly see pads with 0, 1, and 2 insertion 'dents.' Although it hasn't had a problem yet it seems a good chance that it will.

Know what's funny about chew's second picture in post #28 (I guess that's the ES i7-860 that's mentioned)? You can clearly see pads with 0, 1, and 2 insertion 'dents.' Although it hasn't had a problem yet it seems a good chance that it will.

Dimples mean nothing....what you want to look for is scuff marks on the center of the pads, look close and you will see them.

Higher res.....

lrg_IMG_1669.JPG

I wonder if socket burns happen while using dielertic grease in socket ?
All my personall builds I use dielectric in the socket just a habit from years of working in the field......

I wonder if socket burns happen while using dielertic grease in socket ?
All my personall builds I use dielectric in the socket just a habit from years of working in the field......

No clue, plan on hammering chip over the weekend if I have time. Haven't decided on insulation methods yet. Dielectic has its place but with pins meant to flex I try to refrain, when using it in dimm slots if you use to much you gotta play ram jockey pulling ram in and out of slot till it posts with all ram populated, same with vaseline.

Living in new england I use it religiously on all electrical plugs when I work on cars.

Back