• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLi 7800GTX's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJ

Im using these and wanting to upgrade which video these days is going to give me the most? 250 dollar limit..

Im using these and wanting to upgrade which video these days is going to give me the most? 250 dollar limit..

GTX260 Core 216, hands down. They're 190$, a piece if you want a lifetime warranty (eVGA, BFG, XFX, etc). If you want to spend more, you can go GTX275, but they're less bang for the buck.

so the Ati looks like it has more memmory and clock mhz but the interface shows ati 128 and gtx 260 @ 448 SO basically the ATI a better card vs the GTX

No, actually the HD5770 is a bit behind the HD4870 and slower than the GTX260 core 216, DDR3 with big bus width > DDR5 on a very small one. That is why it isn't as fast as the HD4870, less memory bandwidth.

Cool well I guess Ill get the 260........Onward to Motherboards and CPU now lol thx Guys

Why not sell those cards you have and pay $5 more than your budget for a faster card, the GTX 275.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...75&cm_re=gtx_275_896mb-_-14-130-475-_-Product

Or get the HD 4890 which beats out the GTX260 216 for $190?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161298&cm_re=HD_4890-_-14-161-298-_-Product

I would go with the HD4890 personally... Its well underr your budget and beats out the 260 216 in most game benches.
I was kind of thinking about upgrading my back up pc with the hardware from my main pc but I have some leadway on the money to go a few bux more not an issue there just I dont want to get too crazy lol

Why not sell those cards you have and pay $5 more than your budget for a faster card, the GTX 275.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...75&cm_re=gtx_275_896mb-_-14-130-475-_-Product

Or get the HD 4890 which beats out the GTX260 216 for $190?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161298&cm_re=HD_4890-_-14-161-298-_-Product

I would go with the HD4890 personally... Its well underr your budget and beats out the 260 216 in most game benches.

because a 275 is too high of a markup to justify the cost. 65$ is too much and certainly won't net 1/3 of the performance over the 260, which is the percantage of price increase. Both are good cards and perform well, but I'm arguing that a 260 with a decent overclock will perform similarly to a stock 280, and a 275 should beat one, but at what cost? 190$ vs 255$. You do the math there... are you really getting 65$ more performance? The performance increase is more along the lines of maybe 10-15 percent, and still it's a huge diminishing return.

Last edited:
because a 275 is too high of a markup to justify the cost. 65$ is too much and certainly won't net 1/3 of the performance over the 260, which is the percantage of price increase. Both are good cards and perform well, but I'm arguing that a 260 with a decent overclock will perform similarly to a stock 280, and a 275 should beat one, but at what cost? 190$ vs 255$. You do the math there... are you really getting 65$ more performance? The performance increase is more along the lines of maybe 10-15 percent, and still it's a huge diminishing return.
I understand this point, already knew it, and will affirm you are correct. However, some people want the best they can get for a set budget and others want bang fo rhte buck. We can only educate and let the user decide. :beer:

With that said, note my two selections in the post you quoted of mine......wouldnt you know it! The fastest card for his budget, and the best bang for the buck card!!!!

Last edited:
I understand this point, already knew it, and will affirm you are correct. However, some people want the best they can get for a set budget and others want bang fo rhte buck. We can only educate and let the user decide. :beer:

With that said, note my two selections in the post you quoted of mine......wouldnt you know it! The fastest card for his budget, and the best bang for the buck card!!!!

Perhaps I agree, but nobody will ever convince me ATi is a better bang for buck then nVidia. I think physX is required.

PhysX... to me (an Nvidia card owner) is only slightly less of a marketing gimmick than DX10.1 was for ATI (at this point in time). Mirror's Edge and Batman, CHECK! Many other B/C list games, CHECK! Soon hopefully PhysX will make an impact on my purchase, but it wont this time around with its paltry selection of class A titles. BUT, thats me, and thats you! I believe he now has a well rounded perspective of his choices!! W00t! :)

I'm an nVidia fan myself but PhysX means nothing to me. Like earthdog says, it's a bit of a gimmick, atleast for now. The only reason I would rather have a GTX260 over a HD4890 is that I've stuck with nVidia ever since I was having driver issues with Ati cards back in the days of the 9xxx line of cards.

I too went from ATI to Nvidia but I keep an open mind and usually go with the best if money permits.........thanks Guys

well all do respect to the ppl that gave their opinions I think Im going to dish some extra money and get the 275 I really want the AMD chipset board for great OC'ing , but benchmarks all over the net seem to put the 275 slightly better than the 4890 even tho both are highly recommended.......I am going to run dual video cards in the future so at this point Gforce with be on board....

Back