• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3R problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobby

The system in question:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
E8400 (w/big *** heatsink and 120mm fan)
Crucial Ballistix 2x1gb 6400 CL4
Corsair vx550w

I've had my mboard for almost 2 yrs now and it's always been a little flaky on startups. I usually keep it running 24/7 with occasional reboots but never power down completely because it sometimes won't boot.

Here's the problem. I upgraded my video card from a 8800GT to a 4870. I shut down, removed the power cord to the ps and proceeded to swap out the video card. I have a corsair vx550w ps with 2 6pin power leads for the 4870. I button everything back up and try to boot up. The board has power but won't post or beep.

I've tried everything from cmos clearing (even changed the 2032 battery), powering up with just the cpu and memory, no memory, etc. I've searched extensively on google about this problem and tried everything I've read but can't get it to boot now. Not even with the old video card.

I would get continuious long beeps when I take out 2 memory sticks which points to the video card. I've tried reseating it, trying the old card, using one memory stick, then the other. I only get the beeps when both memory sticks are out of the mb. One at a time gives me the same results as both (tried different dual channels, 1&3 and 2&4).

Bad memory?

Bad motherboard?

I'm going to go pick up some 1.8v memory to see if that fixes it. If not, I'll have to buy another motherboard. It won't be another Gigabyte.

TIA

" because it sometimes won't boot" This is interesting.
I would definetly check the psu with a dmm first .Check it when you try to boot up.

ihrsetrdr- Yes, it's in the case and I checked the power/reset buttons. Not sticky. It was an interesting suggestion though :)

OnDborder- It was always like this. When I shut down, it was flaky when powering up. It would always post though but sometimes it would restart by itself or give me an error (forgot what it was) before loading Windows. I usually have something running so I never turned my computer off. Rebooting wasn't an issue, only when powered off, then back on. DMM?

Problem solved. It was the memory. I replaced it with 2 1gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 8500 and it's running great now. Weird that both sticks died. Probably the cause of the mysterious cold boot problem.

Another update.

I checked the voltages in the bios and they all look great. I have a dmm but never heard it referred to as that :).

I usually keep my computer running 24/7 because of the flaky cold boot problem. I turned off my computer last night and booted this morning and it booted fine. I guess the memory was flaky from the start. Weird thing is, I've memtested the memory when I first built the computer and it ran for 24 hrs fine. I've been building computers for almost 20 yrs (IT geek) and know about grounding and all the safe practices.

The new video card rocks! Image quality is better than the 8800gt it replaced.

Now on to other problems... (upgrading to Windows 7 64bit and it won't boot from the dvd... ugh!)

Back