• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idle temps doubling between Stock and 4Ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gwar2288

Just thought I would ask, what is the average Idle temp (yes yes I know it's not hyper accurate but whatever) for people running an i5 750 at 4GHz?

At stock (with EIST and C1E) Realtemp was reporting 14-15*C. Load Temps never went above 40-42*C
At 4GHz, (with EIST and C1E) Realtemp is reporting 28*C. Load Temps are 60-63*C

Unless you are in a 45-50 room, your chip could not be idling at 14-15c. That's 57 farenheit. 40c load is way to low too. What version of RealTemp do you have?

Unless you are in a 45-50 room, your chip could not be idling at 14-15c. That's 57 farenheit. 40c load is way to low too. What version of RealTemp do you have?
v3.39.2

I live in Ireland and it is always cold here :thup: More than likely my ambient temps are below 14*C

I am not running the stock cooler though, I am running a Thor's Hammer with 2xKaze Slipstream 1900RPM and IC7 Diamond TIM (note to self, sort out sig)

Last edited:
I thought your temps might be wrong as well, but if you really have sub 14C ambient, then I guess it could be accurate...my ambient is 25C, there's no way I could stay in a room in the low 50F's...lol

Whether they are 15C or 28C, it doesn't really matter. If they were in the 50C's, then you should be worried. Just worry about load temps unless idles are extremely high, which would suggest bad heatsink contact or too much TIM.

v3.39.2

I live in Ireland and it is always cold here :thup: More than likely my ambient temps are below 14*C

I am not running the stock cooler though, I am running a Thor's Hammer with 2xKaze Slipstream 1900RPM and IC7 Diamond TIM (note to self, sort out sig)

I wish i lived in an area that cold... i'm lucky to see 40F in the middle of winter here :cry:

What is the TJMax set to in your RealTemp?
For Nehalem/Lynnfield TJMax value is written in MSR so no more guess about it. :)
i5 stock I know that is cold so it's somehow is possible to have ambient temperatures on cores in idle and with your cooling.
Anyway load temps matter so 60-63C at 4Ghz looks fine to me.

Hi guys, sorry to hijack this thread, but I just built my i5 last night. I'm using stock intel cooler (I have ordered a CM Hyper 212 Plus, but it's not here yet). It's on a GA-P55-UD4P.

Anyway, my system is idling in the low 40s. IntelBurnTest saw the temperature of Core 1 rise to 81 before I killed it, and running Prime95 it went all the way up 78-80 as well.

My computer is in a computer armoire but the one side is off, and it's open at the front and vented in the back, but otherwise solid wood on two sides and the top. I'd say the ambient inside there is between 25-30.

This is all at stock speeds (with Turbo enabled). I had hoped to overclock to 4 Ghz, is a new cooler going to matter that much? I ordered some MX-2 thermal paste with my Hyper 212 Plus as well.

You will generally idle about 5-10C above ambient (YMMV) but to be AT ambient is darn near impossible.

Your 4Ghz temps I would bet are spot on for that ambient temp you mentioned.

i'm averaging 48*c @ 26*c ambient....on a warm day outside.....when its cold outside, i can get down to 28*c @ 24*c ambient.
see my sig

Back