• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

87dtna

I was just wondering which was a better idea. Right now I have a single seagate barracuda 7200.11 HDD 640gb. I was going to get another 640gb to run in Raid 0 to increase speed. But I just saw this on Newegg-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136492

If I were to buy 2 of those and put in raid 0 for the OS, and just used my 640gb as storage, would that be a faster/better setup than two 640's in Raid 0?

My only concern is those drive are only 1st gen Sata, but the seek times and latency looks really good. So, is this a good idea or should I just stick with my original plan of finding another 640?

Only in seek times... if you deal with large files or want faster boot/game load times then it will only marginally improve over your current setup.

Only in seek times... if you deal with large files or want faster boot/game load times then it will only marginally improve over your current setup.

Current setup? My current setup is a single 640gb. I was looking at going Raid 0 with two 640's but I was thinking about running Raid with these two drives instead and using the 640gb as a storage drive. I have not purchased another 640gb drive yet, I was about too when I saw these drives and was wondering since it will pretty much be the same price if this setup with the raptors would be better.

You could get much better performance than the Raptors with a couple of SSD's in Raid 0, but it will cost a lot more. What kind of budget do you have for this?

Back