Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Microsoft Security Essentials... Sucks.

I've been using Microsoft's free antivirus and antispyware for several months and i've come to the conclusion that it simply sucks. I've recently been noticing some odd behaviors in my computer and with a free online scanner from Eset, realized that i have several trojans on my computer. Needless to say, i was extremely disappointed in the performance of Microsoft's free antivirus, because free doesn't mean it has to suck. I've used Avast's free antivirus for years and have had great luck with it. If anyone just needs the bare minimum of protection, i guess Microsoft's product will do.

Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    Ouch. Looks like I'm going back to Avira. Knew I shouldn't have trusted MS to do antivirus right. Thanks for posting.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
    I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

Hmm ... no problems with MSE here ... other than updating takes a little longer than expected.
    HEAT
    Motherboard --------- BIOSTAR TPower I45
    CPU ------------------- Intel E8600 @ 4GHz
    Memory -------------- 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
    Cooling --------------- Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    HDDs ----------------- Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
    Graphics Card ------- MSI HD4870 OC Edition
    Soundcard ----------- Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer
    Case ------------------ Antec Nine Hundered
    Power Supply -------- OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
    OS -------------------- Win 7 Pro x64, Mint Debian x64

Quote Originally Posted by thaclassikz View Post

I've been using Microsoft's free antivirus and antispyware for several months and i've come to the conclusion that it simply sucks. I've recently been noticing some odd behaviors in my computer and with a free online scanner from Eset, realized that i have several trojans on my computer. Needless to say, i was extremely disappointed in the performance of Microsoft's free antivirus, because free doesn't mean it has to suck. I've used Avast's free antivirus for years and have had great luck with it. If anyone just needs the bare minimum of protection, i guess Microsoft's product will do.
    What OS are you using? Do you do any torrenting?
    HTPC - 2500k - 212+ - GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 - 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 - Vertex 2 90GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB w/M4 64GB ISRT Cache - Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - Silverstone LC10B-E - Corsair RM550

-----
    Main - X3 450 - ASRock A790GMH/128M 790GX - 2x2GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 - 2xWD Green 1TB - Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - Silverstone TJ08 - Corsair CX400W

Nothin' up my sleeve..

I'm running Windows 7, and yes i do torrent, but nothing crazy.

In addition to what i said up there, scanning my whole computer took 3-4 hours for under 1TB of data. The same data only took 40 minutes to scan with Avast.

yes i do torrent
    Lemme guess, "just Linux distros, I swear!"

Can't blame the AV software if you're inviting the baddies in..
    HTPC - 2500k - 212+ - GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 - 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 - Vertex 2 90GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB w/M4 64GB ISRT Cache - Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - Silverstone LC10B-E - Corsair RM550

-----
    Main - X3 450 - ASRock A790GMH/128M 790GX - 2x2GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 - 2xWD Green 1TB - Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - Silverstone TJ08 - Corsair CX400W

Nothin' up my sleeve..

Windows for Gaming, no anti-virus
    Linux for everything else, no anti-virus

Never had a single problem
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD7 (EK P67A-UD7)| i7 2600K @ 5.0GHz (Heat Killer 3.0)
    4x4GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz CL9 1.5V | Gigabyte GTX780 Windforce 3X @ 1084(C)/1150(B)/7064(M) | Swiftech MCP35X
    Black Ice Pro II 240mm| Antec HCP1200 | Antec P280 |2x 120GB Mushkin Chronos RAID0| Windows 8.1 Preview

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
    "just Linux distros, I swear!"
    <(+_+)> (v)g <(+_+)>

Now hold on, there's plenty of legal things to torrent apart from Linux distros.

Like...uhm....you know....erh.....

Well, illegal torrents of stuff which you already bought legally (it's legal in Iceland to do that anyway)
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD7 (EK P67A-UD7)| i7 2600K @ 5.0GHz (Heat Killer 3.0)
    4x4GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz CL9 1.5V | Gigabyte GTX780 Windforce 3X @ 1084(C)/1150(B)/7064(M) | Swiftech MCP35X
    Black Ice Pro II 240mm| Antec HCP1200 | Antec P280 |2x 120GB Mushkin Chronos RAID0| Windows 8.1 Preview

My MSE trial is officially over. It just locked up Explorer when I was trying to update VLC. That combined with the high memory usage is keeping me with Antivir.

considering every review site says otherwise, including AV comparitives, i am thinking you may have said "yes yes yes" to a few thing you shouldn't have, AV's cant stop things the user chooses to install and to have several of them, stop torrent game cracks and other things like that

MSE has almost no memory usage...

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
    ,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
    ,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Agreed.
    Build Status: I have kids

Working fine on my aunt's laptop, MUCH lower resources than AVira/AVG. Got sick of using them when they became so bloated *sigh.

I have trained her in the ways of web-fu, but can't stop here from opening email attachments, hence the need for AV software lol
    All rants I produce are sole property of 127.0.0.1.
    10 types of people understand binary.
    Suck iiiiiitttttttttt. -Shawn Spencer
    Linux is the stepchild of the OS world. "You told me to set 192.168.0.266 ip address", okay >>>Kernel PANIC - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Guvernment View Post

MSE has almost no memory usage...
    I had working memory usage of over 100mb, and a peak of well over 300mb. While that isn't a concern on my system, that's pretty fat for an A/V. Antivir is currently using about 20mb, with a peak of 120mb.

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Avira bloated? That has to be the first time I have ever heard that AND you put it in with AVG? Whoa nelly!!!!!

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
    Lemme guess, "just Linux distros, I swear!"

Can't blame the AV software if you're inviting the baddies in..

That would obviously defeat the purpose of an Anti-virus if it couldn't keep out viruses, invited or uninvited, wouldn't it?

I'm loving MSE on my desktop and my laptop. Runs super smooth and so far no infections, although I'm a smart surfer!
    HEAT
    Motherboard --------- BIOSTAR TPower I45
    CPU ------------------- Intel E8600 @ 4GHz
    Memory -------------- 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
    Cooling --------------- Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    HDDs ----------------- Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
    Graphics Card ------- MSI HD4870 OC Edition
    Soundcard ----------- Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer
    Case ------------------ Antec Nine Hundered
    Power Supply -------- OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
    OS -------------------- Win 7 Pro x64, Mint Debian x64

That would obviously defeat the purpose of an Anti-virus if it couldn't keep out viruses, invited or uninvited, wouldn't it?

No amount of AV is going to protect you from making bad decisions when it comes to installing sketchy software.

-----

Nothin' up my sleeve..

Quote Originally Posted by johnz View Post
    I had working memory usage of over 100mb, and a peak of well over 300mb. While that isn't a concern on my system, that's pretty fat for an A/V. Antivir is currently using about 20mb, with a peak of 120mb.
    wow, i would say something was wrong, maybe it was working too hard to stop thing, on mine i think iam at... 29mb and my system has been on for 9 days now and i also torrent and have 3 x 640G WD drives and 2 x 1.5T drives.

Just set it to do a full scan and i am at 68MB of usage while it is doing a full scan. and upto 24&#37; cpu usage.

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
    ,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
    ,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

The word "Microsoft" and "security", don't belong in the same sentence... lol

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast