• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Security Essentials... Sucks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thaclassikz

:shrug:

I've been using Microsoft's free antivirus and antispyware for several months and i've come to the conclusion that it simply sucks. I've recently been noticing some odd behaviors in my computer and with a free online scanner from Eset, realized that i have several trojans on my computer. Needless to say, i was extremely disappointed in the performance of Microsoft's free antivirus, because free doesn't mean it has to suck. I've used Avast's free antivirus for years and have had great luck with it. If anyone just needs the bare minimum of protection, i guess Microsoft's product will do.

Ouch. Looks like I'm going back to Avira. Knew I shouldn't have trusted MS to do antivirus right. Thanks for posting.

:shrug:

I've been using Microsoft's free antivirus and antispyware for several months and i've come to the conclusion that it simply sucks. I've recently been noticing some odd behaviors in my computer and with a free online scanner from Eset, realized that i have several trojans on my computer. Needless to say, i was extremely disappointed in the performance of Microsoft's free antivirus, because free doesn't mean it has to suck. I've used Avast's free antivirus for years and have had great luck with it. If anyone just needs the bare minimum of protection, i guess Microsoft's product will do.

What OS are you using? Do you do any torrenting?

I'm running Windows 7, and yes i do torrent, but nothing crazy.

In addition to what i said up there, scanning my whole computer took 3-4 hours for under 1TB of data. The same data only took 40 minutes to scan with Avast.

Now hold on, there's plenty of legal things to torrent apart from Linux distros.

Like...uhm....you know....erh.....

Well, illegal torrents of stuff which you already bought legally (it's legal in Iceland to do that anyway)

My MSE trial is officially over. It just locked up Explorer when I was trying to update VLC. That combined with the high memory usage is keeping me with Antivir.

considering every review site says otherwise, including AV comparitives, i am thinking you may have said "yes yes yes" to a few thing you shouldn't have, AV's cant stop things the user chooses to install and to have several of them, stop torrent game cracks and other things like that ;)

MSE has almost no memory usage...

Working fine on my aunt's laptop, MUCH lower resources than AVira/AVG. Got sick of using them when they became so bloated *sigh.

I have trained her in the ways of web-fu, but can't stop here from opening email attachments, hence the need for AV software lol

MSE has almost no memory usage...

I had working memory usage of over 100mb, and a peak of well over 300mb. While that isn't a concern on my system, that's pretty fat for an A/V. Antivir is currently using about 20mb, with a peak of 120mb.

Avira bloated? That has to be the first time I have ever heard that AND you put it in with AVG? Whoa nelly!!!!!

Lemme guess, "just Linux distros, I swear!"

Can't blame the AV software if you're inviting the baddies in..

That would obviously defeat the purpose of an Anti-virus if it couldn't keep out viruses, invited or uninvited, wouldn't it?

That would obviously defeat the purpose of an Anti-virus if it couldn't keep out viruses, invited or uninvited, wouldn't it?

:bang head

No amount of AV is going to protect you from making bad decisions when it comes to installing sketchy software.

I had working memory usage of over 100mb, and a peak of well over 300mb. While that isn't a concern on my system, that's pretty fat for an A/V. Antivir is currently using about 20mb, with a peak of 120mb.

wow, i would say something was wrong, maybe it was working too hard to stop thing, on mine i think iam at... 29mb and my system has been on for 9 days now and i also torrent and have 3 x 640G WD drives and 2 x 1.5T drives.

Just set it to do a full scan and i am at 68MB of usage while it is doing a full scan. and upto 24% cpu usage.

Back