• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Instructions for Installing and Optimizing BOINC for Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Would i gain much ground using CUDA on a Quadro NVS 440. Im not really familiar with the Quadro's as i just got this one fried and fixed it with the oven trick. Im just curious if i will even notice a difference while running BOINC

Thank you for the guide guys, but just a quick question.

I'm running my i5-750 @ 3.8GHz 1.27v stable. It ran seti@home 100% on all 4 cores over night hitting about 65C max.

I know it won't see the temperature lows of a dual core but, is this safe and an accepted number to run full load at?

Thank you for the guide guys, but just a quick question.

I'm running my i5-750 @ 3.8GHz 1.27v stable. It ran seti@home 100% on all 4 cores over night hitting about 65C max.

I know it won't see the temperature lows of a dual core but, is this safe and an accepted number to run full load at?

65-70 should be ok. I've seen people run the i5 up to 80+ without problems. It probably starts to shorten the life span of the chip at that point though.

I should point out that I do not own an i5. If what I have above is wrong, someone please correct me.

ok. Old member of the folding team was going to give seti a try. Followed all these instructions but it shows no work available to process? Went into advanced view only says communication deferred..

The system that removes heavy radar contamination from our raw data is not operating. We are working to understand and debug the problem. This contamination must be removed before distributing the data, thus we are about to run out of workunits to send. 22 Jan 2011 16:09:03 UTC

Looks like they are out of good work units to send. When BOINC can't get work, it backs off a few minutes before asking again. It keeps SETI from DDOSing itself.

Last edited:
attach yourself to another project such as rosetta, you can set it to not allow new WU when Seti starts working again. That way your computer is not just a $1,000 space heater.

Update to this thread. i was setting my new rig for seti@home now that BOINC is letting me download. I noticed there's no link for Lunatics cuda apps. The latest version of Lunatics Windows install seems to have complete CUDA files included. Also there are ATi/AMD settings as well so looks like they have gone one download-does-everything now and not 2 or 3 separate downloads.

If QuietIce is still around, he should check and update post #2 about NVidia and ATi/AMD video cards.

I registered with OC forums (Overclockers.com), and it isn't on my account or the roster a day later. It has been said that it should show up on my account immediately.

Great guide, thanks. How do I verify the GPU part is working right. I can see the cpu work in the tasks panel but what does the gpu look like?

EDIT: Nevermind a CUDA file just popped in there. I guess they take a little longer to retrieve at first.

Last edited:
Apparently im not able to download the lunatics for windows 7, their site says it was pulled due to licensing concerns. Is there a work around available?

Thanks for the guide ! :)

My HTPC is up and running BOINC for the team. Currently on a GTS450 but i just ordered an Asus GTX560TI DCII that will crunch for us :)

Hi, I'm new to SETI
I installed BOINC, I've set SETI@Home project and joined the overclock.com team.
It seems to be doing something, there's a percentage bar always showing, an elapsed and remaining counter and I've noticed my CPU is at full load at all times.

My question is - Am I doing everything OK?

Yes - almost all distro's. Check your package manager or equivalent. it should have it.

Back