• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HL Black Mesa release in 2009

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only thing that could make the rest of 2009 better for me than BM:S actually being released would be Episode 3 being released. Since BM:S is the only one with a shot as far as I'm aware, I'll be ecstatic if it drops before 2010 starts!

Hmm... I hope Valve pulls out something special for Ep 3. The same old gravity gun centric gameplay is starting to get a bit old, especially considering how innovative L4D and Portal were.

Hmm... I hope Valve pulls out something special for Ep 3. The same old gravity gun centric gameplay is starting to get a bit old, especially considering how innovative L4D and Portal were.

I think it's obvious what's going to happen. Portal references the half life universe as if they're one and the same. Glados obviously didn't want to leave. The people that should have ran that facility were also all gone, the entire site being ran by glados. Perhaps she went awol and killed them, and could have easily incinerated the bodies.

Also, the borealis, the ship mentioned at the END of HL2 episode 2, I believe, wasn't owned by black mesa, but by another company... aperture. I think it's obvious that gordan will find his way to that ship which the npc's more or less decided was the next step. Perhaps we'll have a gravity gun, but I think there will be another gun that gordan will come into possession of.

Portal universe = Half Life universe. They're one and the same, as shown by BOTH games mentioning the company highlighted by the other game.

Gordan gets the portal gun in ep3. It's plain as day where that's going, portal was more or less a huge playtest for the portal gun, because they want to do it right. Odds are since the real portal gun is with chel, it won't be a completed or even a fully functional version of the device, in fact we'll probably have artificial limitations due to the obvious power demonstrated by the portal gun in the game, portal.

Either way, I'm very excited for Half Life 3. Not only will the portal and half life game worlds merge completely and entirely, perhaps there'll even be a cameo for chel, our other voiceless hero. Who knows?

On top of what we're going to see, it's also the apex for the half life mythos, or so we're led to believe.

That's exactly the kind of thing that worries me, Portal is really a kind of platform game so the fact that it consists of movement/physics puzzles is just fine.

But the single thing that has sucked most about the Halflife series has been the attempt to shoehorn physics/movement puzzle sections into a hardcore FPS. It's not that physics and movement puzzles don't work (Mirror's Edge more than proves this), it's just that valve have always implemented them in a terrible way so that rather than being small, frequent and seamlessly integrated they might as well have signs saying "You are now entering a puzzle section."

Because of this Episode 1 was the first valve game that I not only didn't replay, I didn't even finish it; and Episode 2 while fun was pretty dated compared with the competition.

When I said that valve needs to do something special, I didn't mean merging story-lines or adding a new gun, they need to do something really fresh and new to give people who played Fallout 3, MW 1 & 2 or even the Battlefield games a reason to be interested. Otherwise they risk becoming as irrelevant as Id have.

Thareadjack ends.

That's exactly the kind of thing that worries me, Portal is really a kind of platform game so the fact that it consists of movement/physics puzzles is just fine.

But the single thing that has sucked most about the Halflife series has been the attempt to shoehorn physics/movement puzzle sections into a hardcore FPS. It's not that physics and movement puzzles don't work (Mirror's Edge more than proves this), it's just that valve have always implemented them in a terrible way so that rather than being small, frequent and seamlessly integrated they might as well have signs saying "You are now entering a puzzle section."

Because of this Episode 1 was the first valve game that I not only didn't replay, I didn't even finish it; and Episode 2 while fun was pretty dated compared with the competition.

When I said that valve needs to do something special, I didn't mean merging story-lines or adding a new gun, they need to do something really fresh and new to give people who played Fallout 3, MW 1 & 2 or even the Battlefield games a reason to be interested. Otherwise they risk becoming as irrelevant as Id have.

Thareadjack ends.

I disagree. Half Life games are fine the way they are, and their way causes the success they've enjoyed.

Thareadjack ends.

2nd opinon...I could not disagree more. I believe that the awesome mix of puzzel solving and FPS along with the really cool Havok engine make for one of the best all time games I have EVER played~~!:thup::cool:

Eeeh eerr what else is there to look forward to in a FPS?

Another update to the web page :)

HOPE HOPE HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This comes out soon. And its been well more then 2 years, this has been in the works since HL2 was released as far as I remember.

HL1 was one of the first games I truely completed from beginning to end. From there I remember going back and completing other games but this was one of my more memorable games that I beat. Really it wasn't the first Doom, Doom2, Duke Nukem (for some examples) where up there as well but its one of the most memorable games I've played that has laid a great foundation for the Story of an FPS.

nightelph said:
Kuroimaho: You said a full HL series replay is in order. Are you saying that black mesa is a re-make of HL AND Blue Shift and Opposing force, or that you were just going to replay it all yourself. I've never played the two expansion packs myself.

This project was started when HL2 came out or so, given how long it took them I doubt anyone would invest time in remaking those as these guys remake HL 1 only.

Oh gee, didn't see this coming Kotaku reports no Black Mesa 2009

What a pity. Oh well maybe for next Christmas by that time Valve might finish a next episode for HL 3 years might be enough for an episode.

I just read an article by one of the head 3D Realms guys, apparently Duke Nukem is still in development even though they "released" the internal team. He said they prefer to outsource their development and hang onto their IPs, and that there are still some Duke games and the movie in the works. Not that I believe we'll be playing DN: Forever anytime soon.

I just read an article by one of the head 3D Realms guys, apparently Duke Nukem is still in development even though they "released" the internal team. He said they prefer to outsource their development and hang onto their IPs, and that there are still some Duke games and the movie in the works. Not that I believe we'll be playing DN: Forever anytime soon.

They are going for a Guinness World Record.

As for Black Mesa, I'm waiting for it but... They will probably get it photo finished, or it'll be a fiasco.

Back