• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting past 4.2ghz with 1600mhz ddr3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simviatoR

So I'm at 21x200 4.207mhz with memory at 2:8 (1602mhz target) - How can I raise the clock while keeping the memory target at 1600? I see I can lower the memory to 2:6 but that would bring my memory down to the 1200-1300 mhz range. Will that make any difference in performance? Or do I go and order some DDR3 1800mhz (or 2000?)

tia

-Dave

Why do you want to keep the DRAM frequency (memory target) at ~1600MHz? Irregardless of what DDR3-1600MHz RAM you have, guaranteed it will run at a higher frequency at default voltage and timings. And even if it didn't, you could easily loosen the timings or increase the DRAM voltage to compensate for the higher frequency. As long as QPI/VTT voltage (1.15V default) and DRAM voltage are kept within 0.5V of each other, you'll be fine w/ a voltage increase over the default.

Last edited:
Is that right? So it should go past 1600mhz without trouble?

So should i just keep bumping up the bclk until I get it where i want it, set timings to auto?

Last edited:
Yes, just set the four primary timings to 8-8-8-24 (CAS, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS), and DRAM voltage to 1.65V; assuming these are the stock timings and DRAM voltage (just adjust according to the SPD.) Run Memtest after each bump in the BCLK, but by either loosening the timings to say 9-9-9-24, or bumping the DRAM voltage that RAM should reach between 1700 - 1800MHz or so. Just remember to also increase the QPI/VTT voltage in order to keep the 0.5V difference.

Back