• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two sick rigs that need to be folding with winter here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

georanma

So in the last month, I have aquired some obnoxious parts....just look in the sig. I want to run 3-4 vm's with crunchbang linux on them. They will be 4 cores each, with a gig of ram. My desktop is gonna need another 4 gig of ram, that I hope to aquire soon. Sadly, this time around, I seem to be having issues with getting foldling installed. I followed and copied the commands from the site as stated. Is there someone that could make some suggestions? When I try and config folding, It tells me there is no such file or folder as ./fah6 even though im in the directory its in and it is there. I could use some aim action if possible. l33tgator

edit: I also am curious as to how much more memory will affect my folding. Would I be just as well off using 512mb?

Last edited:
The file may just not be marked as executable... try this:

chmod +x fah6

edit: I also am curious as to how much more memory will affect my folding. Would I be just as well off using 512mb?

The amount of RAM you have decides on whether you will get small, medium or large workunits. AFAIK the larger ones tend to be the best PPD but I may be wrong here.

You don't need to run more than one VM per machine. VMware Player has support for 4 cores and, unofficialy, support for 8 cores. Fewer VMs mean less ram, hard drive space and cpu resources are required to fold. 4 core VMs trounce 2 core VMs in production since the release of version 2.10 of the a2 core. A 4 core VM runs well at somewhere about 900 MB. Many get by with less at the risk of the VM crashing if you run out. An 8 core VM will need about 1200 MB to run normal a2 WUs and running -bigadv on the i7 will need a bit over 4 GB.

Last edited:
One is an 1156 setup and one is 1366, so id need ddr3 thanks though. So no real need for more than 1 vm per box .I could do 8 with ht on i guess.

You'll get a very nice ppd boost with an 8 core VM on an i7. If you're serious about maximizing ppd, you can run bigadv WUs and make over 20,000 ppd.

Its winter coming up. Im already gonna have these machines on 24/7, might as well keep the heater off as much as possible. lol. I want to get these set up as best as possible. To be honest most of the time I will hardly be pushing these machines on my own. I havent been gaming as much as just playing with hardware lately. I also just moved a 360 into my room next to my desk, so Ill be even more apt to just be listening to music or watching a movie while gaming on it. Might as well make some use of the money I spent.

In a terminal go into the directory where you have put the folding@home stuff. Type ls and paste the output here. Mine looks like:

Code:
david@tigger ~ $ cd FaHSMP/
david@tigger ~/FaHSMP $ ls
client.cfg   FahCore_a2.exe   machinedependent.dat  queue.dat
Core_78.fah  FAHlog-Prev.txt  mpiexec               unitinfo.txt
fah6         FAHlog.txt       MyFolding.html        work
david@tigger ~/FaHSMP $

Figured it out. I was missing dependancies. I was probably F'd when I was installing and missing that tid bit...even after reading the page 10 times.

I think the only issue I may be having is with the whole passcode thing, so that my work is credited to my name.

Last edited:
So, one vm per rig will be plenty of folding? Also, when i tried and set it up at 2 cores with 4 cores each, it wont take it = (. Im pretty sure I left HT on this machine.

edit: When I deleted my two machines, and went to just start a new one, I was not able to get the dependancies to install for fah (ia32-libs). says cant find package and I have internet. Gonna play around some more since I cant sleep. Once I get this set up, and the gtz is on the i7, Ill get folding on a crunchbang vm as well..

I take that back. I added repositories, and was then able to get the dependances. We may be full steam ahead. Now, If I can only get my work credited to my username = /

Last edited:
Back