• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best way to watch Hulu and netflix on a TV?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

just wondering what the best, aka cheapest/best value, way is to watch hulu and netflix on a TV. We just finally got a Tv and would like to find a way without going through the hassle of building a TV 'n all that. I'm assuming the apple TV can't do it/doesn't have the horsepower to drive hulu and netflix on our TV (we do have a 1080p hd tv)

can an xbox360 do it? ps3? are there other media devices that can? just trying to find out what my options are.

thanks

Hook your PC up to it.

Also if you build a HTPC, there are addons for media center of netflix and hulu so you can use your remote :)

Netflix sent me a free disc last week to enable it on my PS3:cool:...nice getting something for nothing.:thup:

I already had the Roku player($99) on a different TV.

Also a lot of the new DVD and Blu ray players have it built in. Samsung has them. As well as others.

so do the ps3 and xbox 360 allow for playing of hulu straight out of the box or is there is some weird stuff that needs to be done?

^ netflix sends you a free CD for the ps3. For hulu you would have to use the ps3 browser and direct it toward hulu (though I've never tried it, can't see why it wouldn't work)

360...I have no idea

PS3 will p[lay Hulu, but it stutters a LOT.
Xbox360 will do Netflix, but not Hulu yet.
HTPC will run you about the same cost or a little more but can be much more productive than the other 2.

get a htpc, I wouldn't really try a laptop, so mines can play hd video and bluray. but it leaves a lot to wish for in heat and performance. With the htpc you can like play old games on your tv or something or everything else along with new games. I think i'm biased though. I'd like the idea of using a full hdtv as a monitor as opposed to owning a gaming console. I can't put my finger on it, I'd pick the ps3 but besides the one game i'm interested in on that gaming console, I don't think it would do much and be as fun as a pc.

If you do go htpc try to use an nvidia, I heard some problems with ati drivers...not sure how bad they are. research a card on an hdtv for overscan or not full HD specs. it happens or is it just in games.

Last edited:
just to update the thread, I'm gunna try to refurb my college laptop with windows 7 to be an HTPC. I'll convert DVI to HDMI for video and the stereo headphone jack to rca for sound. it's 2ghz dothan core with 1gb of ram (trying to get more) so I'm hoping it should keep up. We'll see.

just to update the thread, I'm gunna try to refurb my college laptop with windows 7 to be an HTPC. I'll convert DVI to HDMI for video and the stereo headphone jack to rca for sound. it's 2ghz dothan core with 1gb of ram (trying to get more) so I'm hoping it should keep up. We'll see.

What kind of RAM does it use? I think I have a 512MB SODIMM sitting around I could send ya :beer:

let me know if you find a good deal on 1gb DDR sodimms...been trying to find some for my fiances laptop but the cheapest i can find is about $35 and i know theres got to be cheaper out there some place

Back