• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

using two isp's at once

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark bishop

Hopefully you network guru's can give me a hand here. We'll be switching back to DSL sense our cable is about as stable as a seizure prone chimp and it may be faster to order all our programs on disc rather than download them.

Anyway, we'll have a week of overlap and I'm hoping to have a fun experiment of trying to use both connections at once, of course using a software solution instead of the expensive dual wan router.

Ive already got a spare pc and a few nic's to use so hopefully im set up hardware wise.

So wise networking guru's, what do I do?

What brand nic's?

What your looking at doing is software NIC teaming. Calling it the right thing may help with google.

The brand of NICs is relevant to what software will work.

Gotcha. I'm not familiar with any windows based apps which would do it then, although pfsense looks like it has potential. A week long window for experimenting may be asking a lot if you don't have any experience with BSD.

You could also do it with Astaro (router/firewall). I know that you can setup multiple internet connection and also do load balancing based on what type of traffic it is. Very useful.

The setup and configuration can be difficult, even more so if you don't have much experience with networking.

the new modem showed up today an so far the DSL is so much faster than the cable, plus asking my dad about it turns out he sold/gave them away and all he has is a big pile of dial-up modems XD wonder what fun i could have with those?

Way back in the dark ages of dial up, some folks would use Network Bridging to connect 2 modems ( each using a separate phone # ) for increased bandwidth. It was a royal pain in the *** to get working right.

Way back in the dark ages of dial up, some folks would use Network Bridging to connect 2 modems ( each using a separate phone # ) for increased bandwidth. It was a royal pain in the *** to get working right.

Shotgunning modems, ahh those were the days :)

Back