• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the Video Card Affect video editing ability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDGuy

I'm putting together a new machine and the most intensive thing it will do is render some HD video content from my camcorder.

I was going to re-use my current graphics card which is a Saphire Radeon PCIe card with 512MB of RAM on it.

However, someone suggested I get a new card with 1GB of memory like a GeForce 9500GT or some such to aid in the video aspects.

I thought the CPU did all the work on video editing/rendering...do I really need a new graphics card too?

I'm putting together a new machine and the most intensive thing it will do is render some HD video content from my camcorder.

I was going to re-use my current graphics card which is a Saphire Radeon PCIe card with 512MB of RAM on it.

However, someone suggested I get a new card with 1GB of memory like a GeForce 9500GT or some such to aid in the video aspects.

I thought the CPU did all the work on video editing/rendering...do I really need a new graphics card too?

Most programs use the CPU for such tasks, however you may find that having a video card that can handle the UI decently can improve your ability to do what you want with it.

That being said, some applications do use features like cuda, or stream processing I think it's called on the ATI side. They may aid in the heavy duty lifting that video encoding would require.

What applications do you use?

I use Sony Vegas 8 for the video editing/encoding. The OS on the new system will either be Windows 7 or Windows 7 64-bit.

My current system is an old AMD Opteron 170 setup and it takes ages to encode media. The video is also choppy in the preview screen, but I assumed that was because the CPUs couldn't keep up.

I'm trying to build a new system with good components, but not just throw money at it.

Here's what I've got in my cart thus far:

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX TX 650W Power Supply Retail 1 $102.99
(2) WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA II 7200 RPM 32MB Buffer Hard Drive Bulk 2 $89.99
EVGA 01G-P3-N958-LR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 (2.0v) Video Card Retail 1 $62.99
OCZ OCZ3P1333LV4GK 4GB PC3-10666 (DDR3-1333) Dual Channel Memory Retail 1 $99.99
INTEL BX80605I5750 I5 2.66 GHz Socket 1156 1MB Desktop Processor Retail 1 $204.99
GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R Intel P55 Core i5/i7 PC3-16000 (DDR3-2000) ATX Motherboard Retail
Megahalem Rev 2B CPU Cooler

I was thinking of eliminating the graphics card if it's not really needed.

You will need a video card for that system.

If all your doing is web browsing and such, a 3450 can be picked up usually around $20 (I bought them for that on Newegg before) which will handle general desktop usage and video acceleration very well.

Not sure about stream encoding though, last I looked there was not a good VGA accelerated video encoding app.

I BELIEVE that HTT will help in video encoding process for software (CPU) based encoders, so might want to looking to getting an i7 for p55. If video encoding is the primary focus of your rig.

If all your doing is web browsing and such, a 3450 can be picked up usually around $20 (I bought them for that on Newegg before) which will handle general desktop usage and video acceleration very well.

Not sure about stream encoding though, last I looked there was not a good VGA accelerated video encoding app.

I BELIEVE that HTT will help in video encoding process for software (CPU) based encoders, so might want to looking to getting an i7 for p55. If video encoding is the primary focus of your rig.

I actually agree with this. Moving up to an 860 is a worthwhile investment.

Perhaps something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.290305

Or alternatively this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.290326

There's some great bundles with 860 these days. Might wanna look into it. :thup:

I'm not willing to drop the money on the i7. If the i5 encodes 15 minutes of HD in an hour I'll be thrilled with that, plus in a year or two when the i7 860s drop in price, I'll have a simple upgrade path. That's how I worked my current AMD Rig and got it to last me 4 years+. I started off with a mere 1800mhz single core 939 chip, and moved up to a dual core Opteron 170 when they became cheap.

Can you help me understand why a new video card is needed? I can't get my head around why my current PCIe card wont' work?

I just went and looked and my current video card is a Sapphire Radeon 550.

http://www1.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=116

Keep in mind computers aren't so much a hobby for me anymore as they are a tool to get work done. I used to be all about getting new parts and overclocking them, water cooling pioneering, etc. I even wrote several articles for this very website. However, I work in IT now, and just want the thing to work and not fool with it all the time. I get enough of that at work and prefer to put the real money in to other hobbies (like my muscle cars).

Last edited:
That is an ANCIENT card. I dont think its going to like W7 at all. Im sure it will turn down all the goodies it has to offer. Just get a cheap 8600gt or something like that for a videocard, even though the other will work, just without all the bells and whistles.

I would also second the i7 860 (Which is still Socket 1156 so the mobo/ram is cheaper than s1366) The HT on that chip will blow through those MUCH faster than the the i5. Im certain your time is worth the cost.

That is an ANCIENT card. I dont think its going to like W7 at all. Im sure it will turn down all the goodies it has to offer. Just get a cheap 8600gt or something like that for a videocard, even though the other will work, just without all the bells and whistles.

I would also second the i7 860 (Which is still Socket 1156 so the mobo/ram is cheaper than s1366) The HT on that chip will blow through those MUCH faster than the the i5. Im certain your time is worth the cost.

Looks like you're right on the W7...no drivers available.

Guess that answers that.

I use Sony Vegas 8 for the video editing/encoding. The OS on the new system will either be Windows 7 or Windows 7 64-bit.

My current system is an old AMD Opteron 170 setup and it takes ages to encode media. The video is also choppy in the preview screen, but I assumed that was because the CPUs couldn't keep up.

I'm trying to build a new system with good components, but not just throw money at it.

Here's what I've got in my cart thus far:

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX TX 650W Power Supply Retail 1 $102.99
(2) WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA II 7200 RPM 32MB Buffer Hard Drive Bulk 2 $89.99
EVGA 01G-P3-N958-LR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 (2.0v) Video Card Retail 1 $62.99
OCZ OCZ3P1333LV4GK 4GB PC3-10666 (DDR3-1333) Dual Channel Memory Retail 1 $99.99
INTEL BX80605I5750 I5 2.66 GHz Socket 1156 1MB Desktop Processor Retail 1 $204.99
GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R Intel P55 Core i5/i7 PC3-16000 (DDR3-2000) ATX Motherboard Retail
Megahalem Rev 2B CPU Cooler

I was thinking of eliminating the graphics card if it's not really needed.

Honestly you'd be better of getting rid of the Megahalems and getting a nicer video card. Is switching to another program for your encoding an option?

That's a great price! None near me though.

Anyone got suggestions for a decent video card other than what I listed? Price range is $50 - $60.

I'd like 2 DVI output capability to hook up 2 monitors.

Again, is switching from Vegas an option? What formats are you working with?

Again, is switching from Vegas an option? What formats are you working with?

I can use whatever, but I really like Vegas. It's fairly easy to work with and I get results I'm happy with.

I use a Panasonic HD camcorder that records in AVCHD format.

I then encode that to MPEG2 for most things, and sometimes to FLV for web.

I do intend to encode to BlueRay eventually to keep the HD format, as soon as BlueRay media comes down in price.

My current system is on it's last leg. I'm getting 3-4 lockups a day and I'm just trying to get it to last until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to get some good prices on new components.

I can use whatever, but I really like Vegas. It's fairly easy to work with and I get results I'm happy with.

I use a Panasonic HD camcorder that records in AVCHD format.

I then encode that to MPEG2 for most things, and sometimes to FLV for web.

I do intend to encode to BlueRay eventually to keep the HD format, as soon as BlueRay media comes down in price.

My current system is on it's last leg. I'm getting 3-4 lockups a day and I'm just trying to get it to last until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to get some good prices on new components.

I'd definitely look at ditching the Megahalems and using software that supports GPU encoding. AFAIK they all support AVCHD and it's way faster than using CPU :beer:

I'd definitely look at ditching the Megahalems and using software that supports GPU encoding. AFAIK they all support AVCHD and it's way faster than using CPU :beer:

Interesting. Did some quick Googling and a lot of what I found said GPU encoding isn't ready for prime time. Crashes, bad quality, etc.

Think I'll stick with Vegas for now. It works great.

Interesting. Did some quick Googling and a lot of what I found said GPU encoding isn't ready for prime time. Crashes, bad quality, etc.

Think I'll stick with Vegas for now. It works great.

If you're happy with it, great. I suspect some of those reviews might have been old, though. Even Badaboom has come a long way :beer:

Back