• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comcast made some changes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

Wow.

Interent was out for about 18 hours last night. Before it went out I was gett 25KB/s Downland sppeds. Ran speed test and was getting .25Mb down ad 4 Mb upload speed. WTF?

Reset modem today once maintenance was done in my area. WOW UL has really improved! Guess it was not a glitch!

632613260.png

You know, with so many O/C members posting these Mb upload speeds, you need to start hosting private game servers for the rest of the O/C community. :beer:

You'll find that speedtest sites tend not to report accurately for Comcast due to their powerboost feature. I've had a speedtest site tell me I'm at 391,000Kbps down and somewhere in the range of 100,000Kbps up.

I'd do something like torrent a Linux iso for 5-10 minutes to get an accurate test of your speeds.

Also, at least in the Minnesota area, speedtest.net has been really poor for giving anything *close* to an accurate speed result. I rely more on speakeasy.net or some speedtest sites that Comcast hosts.

I'd give you an actual idea of what was done but I can't see logs for the NJ area.

Last edited:
i've used testmy.net for a while now, seems good but ive never used comcast either.

I wish i had a better net connection, 5 down 768 kbits up :-(

I guess after I get all the bills caught up and we dont owe sprint or embarq or centurylink, whatever the hell their name is these days.. any money, we'll switch to time warner who on the phone told me I can get 15 down 2 up here. I've seen sprint/embarq tell people they can get service over the phone and when the tech shows up to install they get laughed at, but never heard of this from TWC.

ya speedtests are often not really what a cable net actually does.... due to many cable providers offering power boost type stuff for your first 100mb download or what ever cut off they have.... fios on the other hand has no such thing.... yet i pay 49.99 a month to get this ... 632801332.png

and could download n upload all day long at those speeds without any slowdowns woot woot... Glad to see they got your speeds back up cable providers are NOTORIOUS for selling you XX down and XX up yet only providing a fraction of that which you pay for.

Yah, last I looked cable upload was SLOW. Under 1Mb.

And yes 16 down is with powerboost. But Most of my DLs are under 100MB, so grabbing an Ati driver ina few seconds works fine for me :)

I was really commenting more on the upload speed. Since Comcast notoriously has crappy uploads.

I will be uploading some stuff to a team server tomorrow night (large files) will be kick *** to see it done in under a half hour instead of the usual 2+ hours :)

Yah, last I looked cable upload was SLOW. Under 1Mb.

And yes 16 down is with powerboost. But Most of my DLs are under 100MB, so grabbing an Ati driver ina few seconds works fine for me :)

I was really commenting more on the upload speed. Since Comcast notoriously has crappy uploads.

I will be uploading some stuff to a team server tomorrow night (large files) will be kick *** to see it done in under a half hour instead of the usual 2+ hours :)

I pay 140 a monto for less then 56k type upload speed with metrocast lol... I had to upload 200gb of files to my website took me a month.

.... fios on the other hand has no such thing.... yet i pay 49.99 a month to get this ... 632801332.png

How do you get that plan? The cheapest plan I see on Verizons own website is $50 (with home phone) a month for 15/5. The only plan with 20Mb up is the $140 plan.

Theres a 25/20mbit package in my area or there ust to be. When i called verizon for some billing questions i asked what packages they were offering at that time... the lady went through and there was a 15/5 mbit package for the same price as my 15/2 mbit package so i asked her if i could upgrade to 15/5 without any extra costs. She was like ya no prob let me switch you over. So a coupla hrs later i went on speed test and i came up with something similar to above ~26/20mbit ... i went hmm must be a fluke, so i went and downloaded a big (1.9gb file) and it stayed pegged at 26mbit (~3.05MB/s) so i thought oh well they havnt set my 15/5 package into place yet. 3 months goes by and im still on the 25/20 tier but paying for 15/5 heheheh. so it seems as if she accidently clicked the wrong box in the work order to bump me to 25/20 instead of 15/5 ... I aint complainin.

Haha yea i noticed my Comast down about a week ago,, not much beter uploads though but decent ping. Capture-2.png
11/10/2009@6:20a about made me soil my depends!

Last edited:
Looking good Neuro, it looks like your network area just got upgraded to the DCIOS 3.0 standard thing.(you know what I'm talking about =D)

@nd4spdbh2 - I was in a similar situation when they upgraded the network in my area. I call them and they tell me they can upgrade my connection to 50Mbps for the same amount, I just had to pull back the phone and cable service a tad. Well worth it.

DOCSIS? Yah. Commercials lately are offering up to 50 Mbps lately, so guessing they did update.

Modem still says 1.x though :s

Not all modems will be capable of D3 much less DOCSIS 2.0. What modem do you own?

System: ARRIS DOCSIS 2.0 / PacketCable 1.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem HW_REV: 32
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 5.01
SW_REV: 6.1.51I
MODEL: TM402P

And today status says DOCSIS 2.0 :) so looks like I should see about getting a 3.0 modem :)

Back