• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

URGH! Intermittent Internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brunel07

Hi,

Im having a very annoying internet problem at work. Bascially sometimes the internet works perfectly, but other times I get an error saying:

This web page is not available.

The web page at null might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Here are some suggestions:
Reload this web page later.
More information on this error
Below is the original error message

Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): The server could not be found.

Ive tried different browsers and lots of websites and I get the same problem. This is wih websites like hotmail and google so I know they arnt down.

What can I do to diagnose this problem?

From the portion of the error that states "NAME_NOT_RESOLVED", I would imagine it means that the DNS server your company has specified isn't sending you back an IP for a Domain Name. Have you talked with your IT department ( if you have one )? It may be a virtual server getting starved for resources every so often, or something more esoteric. Those who are familiar with the network in question should have more answers.

After a quick google, it seems it may be related to a lack of a specified DNS server at all, among other things. Double check in Network Connections -> *Insert your connection here* -> TCP/IP Properties, and make sure there is an IP under the DNS entry. This error seems to be prevelant among Chrome users, for whatever reason.

Hi, this isnt a large office so no IT department, its more of a home internet connection.

I think the error is coming up in relation with chrome is because that statement above is chromes wording, it firefox the error is worded different but still has the same meaning.

The network in the network map shows this:
ID4 -> Switch -> Gateway -> Internet

Im in windows 7. When I go to LAN status it says:
IPv4 connectivity: Interent
IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet access

I dont know how to see the TCP/IP Properties

Sounds like a proxy or firewall issue.

First, try going into Chome and changing a setting..
Options->Under the Hood->Change proxy settings->LAN Settings > Disable "Use a Proxy server for your LAN .

If that does not work, I would say the firewall is the culprit. Do you have software firewalls installed on the computers, or just the hardware one?

Hi,

Ive disabled my software firewall. The option in chrome for lan proxy server is already disabled.

This sounds like a networking issue. Try to do a traceroute on the IP that is intermittenly dropping. See how many"hops" are dropped. What kind of router are you using? It sounds like your routing table is jacked up either on the router or on the PC.

Back